Wednesday, July 25, 2012

We Got to Have Some Fun, Too

While we were out on the east coast, we took advantage of the opportunity to have a little "vacation" too. I'm so glad Jake got to go with me, and that we stayed with my Dad while my mom stayed at our house in Utah and took care of the girls. What a deal. It was so good to see old friends and ward members in York, and we felt lots of love.
The day after we flew in, Jake and I went on an adventure to a nearby farm that advertised berry picking. We drove up, asked the lady in her garden if we could pick blackberries, and she gave us a carton and showed us where to pick. It was fun walking down the row and picking out the biggest, juiciest looking berries. Mmm look at those babies.
Jake was a fabulous berry picker.
He took one side and I took the other. It felt like we were in a movie or something, out in the middle of nowhere on a cute little farm by ourselves picking berries.
When Cami saw the picture of the blackberries when I got home, she said "Mmmm, blackberries. Were they sweet and juicy? Did you bring me some?" Nope, sorry kiddo, they were gone in a day.

We also took an afternoon to visit the Shoe House in York. We always see it from Route 30 but I've never actually stopped to visit.
It really is a shoe house! People used to live there...now it's a tourist attraction and holds a little ice cream shop. :)
And who can forget about the annual Chick-fil-A "dress like a cow" day? I did not. I had it in my calendar for weeks. hehe. It's just a fun, lighthearted event to get people to dress like cows and look silly in order to get a free meal of choice at Chick-fil-A. Jake and I just pulled whatever we had out of our suitcases, cut out some spots and were good to go. I highly encourage all skeptics to participate next year- it will bring a smile AND free food.
Jake took the opportunity to sit on a giant chair along the road. Why not?
We stopped by a little place near Baltimore called the Paper Moon Cafe that I had seen featured on the Travel channel. It's super funky, quirky, and decorated with lots of doll heads and CD's and Pez dispensers.

We ate pretty well while we stayed with my dad! He and Jake enjoyed 2 nights of super manly beefy steaks, which were as big as frisbees.
And Jake impressed both my dad and I, with his hearty meal of skillet cooked salmon, baked sweet potatoes and corn on the cob. I'll have to have him cook more often!
Papa Toone and Jakey Boy....2 of my favorite men in the world!
Dad put Jake to work on the riding lawn mower. He was a pro, with all his boyhood Lagoon landscaping experience and all. Dad sure does love his John Deere.
We spent a Saturday in Gettysburg with my Dad, which turned out to be quite educational and enjoyable. We visited the new visitors center, which is big and beautiful.
Complete with a photo op with Abe Lincoln himself. What a good man. I love that Dad is sitting on his lap.
And this was a real live re-enactment soldier who was hanging out outside, sweating in the 90 degree weather. Pretty dedicated.
Dad splurged and bought us the whole deal- museum, film, and 2 hour bus tour. I would have protested, but I was in the bathroom. :) The thought of boarding a bus did not appeal to me, but it was actually really interesting. The tour guide did a great job and had tons of cool stories, and I'm glad Dad enabled us to have a history lesson for the day.

On a different day, I got together with my cute friend Brooke, and made super yummy gluten free vegan carrot cake cupcakes! They turned out deeeelicious, packed full of carrots, raisins and walnuts, topped with dairy free frosting and shredded coconut. I love how this little cupcake looks like it has a head of shaggy hair. Anyways, it's good to know that I can be successful in making my own safe-to-eat baked goods.
And on our last day at Johns Hopkins, we were at the main campus in Baltimore, so I asked someone where we could find "The Dome". I'd read online that you have to visit the dome when you visit the hospital, cuz it's a neat sight to see. Dad and I walked to the building, opened the door, and were greeted by...
HIM. I was so surprised and happy, because I've only ever seen this statue in the temple visitors centers. But there He was, in a hospital building in the heart of rough and tough downtown Baltimore, waiting to greet anyone who walks in the door. I stood and gazed at him, and watched as people came and went, but stopped for a second at the statue to touch his foot, or do a quick Hail Mary. It was really cool. It brought me so much peace and comfort as soon as we saw Him.

And then you look up, and see the circular levels leading up to the beautiful dome at the top.
At the base of the statue is the scripture

"Come unto me all ye that are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest."

What a powerful statement to be able to read when you walk into a place that is filled with so much affliction, sickness, healing, help, hope, prayers. At His feet were notes of thanks and love to the Savior, or pleadings to help loved ones in need. It was very touching. There is lots of good in the world, and it was nice to be reminded of that.
It was a good 2 week adventure, and I'm grateful for the care I got and also for the time I had to spend with my sweet husband and my wonderful dad. And I'm looking forward to visiting Jesus again when I go back next month.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

It's so nice to see you able to enjoy your time and not just do hospital stuff!!!

Adam and Jessica said...

I LOVE that you had a mini vacation with your hubby! That all looks so fun and good job on those yummy cup cakes. Were they hard to make? I would love the recipe. YUM!

Unknown said...

I might have just blubbered when I read about the Christus statue :) Love you, Heather!