Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Fair Fun

State Fair time- woo hoo! Love this time of year. And I was fortunate to be able to attend 2 different fairs this year- one in PA and one in UT. Which one was better? Hmmm hard to tell. But those Pennsylvanians sure do love their fair. It opened on my last night in York, so Mom, Dad, Lexi and I hit it up for a fun night. I just love walking around and people watching, and seeing all the animals and exhibits. They had this cool animal attraction with a real live giraffe named Melman.

Lexi and Grandma, waiting to see the giraffe.
There he is! Lex didn't show much of a reaction....I think she takes after me with her subdued emotions. :)
There were other animals in the same tent...I think this was like an african goat or something. I love how he's almost eating Lexi's foot.
Yay for zebras! They are always so dang cool looking.
This massive horned guy was a little unnerving...I was afraid he was going to get his horn through the gate and jab Lexi in the head or something.
You could feed the giraffe for a few bucks, so Dad jumped at the opportunity. He said "I've never gotten to feed a giraffe before!" It was cute. He got a cup of carrots, and he and Mom fed Melman and then Dad enjoyed sharing the bounty with the rest of the animals.
Including a camel with funny lips.
And this poor pathetic looking alpaca? I think it is? Whoever gave him that haircut did not have his dignity in mind.
Woo, go Mom! Couldn't pass up a fun photo op.
Even though I'm accustomed to eating corn dogs and fried stuff at the fair, I didn't miss it all that much. Instead, I looked for the biggest piece of meat I could find, and dug in. Turkey leg, anyone?
It was pretty good, but I only ate like a fourth of it. Mom and Dad enjoyed their usual favorites, I spun a wheel and won a t-shirt, and Dad paid a dollar for me to look at the world's smallest horse, Timmy.
He even had a friend with him. So all in all it was an enjoyable eve. Good ol York.

Now on to the Utah State Fair! Jake, Cami, Lexi and I went the week after I got home, on a Monday night for family night. Lex sported her fair attire.
And I love this picture of princess Cami Lamb with the classic fair runway setting.
Instead of the turkey leg, we tried some polynesian chicken and rice. It was mighty tasty! Love this picture of Jake- handsome boy.

What's the fair without an amazing butter sculpture? This year's butter theme was The Hunger Games- see the Katniss cow?
And pardon my scary face, but yay for cotton candy! It's fluffy bliss on a stick. Every once in a while, it is fun to splurge and eat pure sugar. Even when you're sick. I just can't get over the melt on your tongue effect. :)
Lexi's first encounter with cotton candy. At first I'm sure she just thought it was cotton, so she wasn't interested. But she sure liked it once she tasted it!
My favorite part of the fair I think is always the farm experience for kids. Cami has such a blast walking around with her little apron and basket, and collecting things to sell at the end and buy a treat at the store. She liked milking the cow.
And there's her little arm reaching for a potato in the garden.
And bless her little heart- she couldn't quite pedal this "tractor" but had fun trying.
She bought some fruit snacks at the end- her favorite.

Holy.Sunset.
This is what we saw when we walked out. The sky looked like it was on fire. Gorgeous. I love this picture with the fun slide...do you think if I submitted it to the fair next year, they'd take it?
Me and my loves.


2 comments:

Linda said...

Yay for fairs! So glad you got to hit two this year! If I can have deep fried veggies once a year I'm a happy camper! We've got to get Lexi smiling more for the camera....I'm pretty sure she was having a better time than her little face shows! =) Fun memories.

Unknown said...

Oh the York Fair!!! Those pictures are so cute of all of you and the sunset pictures are just beautiful! Looks like you guys had so much fun :)