Saturday, August 28, 2010

Can't Get Enough of Farm Animals! (Or the Mountains)

I'm thoroughly wiped out right now, after a day with the two munchkins, Cami and Ari. I've been babysitting Ari since Thursday morning, and it's been a lot of fun for us! I'll blog about it sometime, but tonight I think they had a conspiracy against me or something. Maybe a conspiracy is on my mind cuz I just finished reading the 2nd Hunger Games book (AWEsome,by the way), but they definately were more rebellious tonight. I was very ready to put them both in bed and take a breather after cleaning almost every room in the house that they'd strewn things across! Now I'm currently watching the 8th season of Full House from the library (pathetic? heck no, it's the best show ever made) and thought I would do a lil post of another recent adventure. Cow ride, anyone?
The Tuesday before last, Brittney and I took our kiddos to Farm Country on 2 Buck Tuesday at Thanksgiving Point. It was the first time I'd been there, so I was excited to see what it's all about. Basically, it's a big farm with animals in pens and behind bars, with a few hands on rooms with farming/gardening activities and either a wagon ride or pony ride with your ticket. It was a very hot day, so we tried to stay out of the sun as much as we could. Here's Cami crawling through some tubes that represent insect tunnels underground. She and Ari kept fighting over who got to sit on this tractor. They loved it! We chose to do the wagon ride, since there was like an hour wait for the pony ride, and since the girls just rode ponies the week before. Luckies! Cami did NOT want to sit still for the ride, and was the only little kid on the wagon who would not sit on her bum. Silly girl. Bryan acted like a good big brother, watching her closely and making sure she was safe. She also enjoyed trying out the jail! Look at those happy inmates. And I had to capture a shot of this wise old looking goat with the mega beard. All in all, it was a fun little outing and I'm glad we spent time down on the farm!
That week we also went hiking in the mountains with some neighborhood friends, and it was such a gorgeous day! We drove up the canyon and hiked to Doughnut Falls, with Cami strapped to my back in this super handy borrowed backpack. Jake and I have never taken Cami hiking for real, but Cam did beautifully and loved looking at the scenery and watching the other little kids hike. Isn't this a beautiful sight? I love that tree root, too. The green trees and surrounding mountains...And the falls at the end of our hike. There wasn't much water to see, but apparently it's called Doughnut Falls because if you climb up above it, it runs in a circle and looks like a doughnut. Who knew? We stopped and had some snacks, let the 6 kids run around and dabble in the water a little, and I rested my aching shoulders. That backpack is dang heavy! Here's Cami with her friend Ella, who's family lives behind us. She's always so nice to Cam and told me that "Cami is the most Darling little girl."
All strapped in and ready to get going again. I love how teensy she looks in that big pack.And one last look at the mountain top on the way back. I've gotta get out in those mountains more often! It's great to see them when I go outside everyday, but it's even better to be in them.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I agree! You guys should take advantage of all the hiking trails in the mountains, and especially with all the colorful Fall leaves that you'll see soon. Beeee-autiful!

Brittney said...

I felt the same way when we lived in Draper and went up Little Cottonwood a couple times. It's SO gorgeous up there!