Although it was sucky circumstances, I felt unbelievably loved by my family and friends and actually had an awesome birthday. I was overwhelmed with the happiness I felt on that December day, and will always always remember that birthday.
This birthday, the big 3-0 was just as memorable, because of how drastically different it was and how special it was made by loved ones! It started the day before, on Friday, when I got to hang out with these two all day long.
Oh how I love these girls. And don't ask me why they were laying on the dirty back door rug. They were bonding and laughing their heads off, so I loved it.
When Jake got home from work, his parents came to watch the girls while we went on a hot date. I couldn't decide where I wanted to eat for dinner, since choosing a restaurant isn't what it once was. I have to do my research, decide what's safe and what I'm willing to risk, and hope that whatever I get will taste good. So we went to a new place called Cafe Bella Rue, in Daybreak, where we'd once gotten sorbet for dessert. They serve gluten free bread for sandwiches, and baked sweet potato fries, so that sounded good to me that night. Here I am with my gluten free, dairy free, egg free, soy free meal- woot woot!
It was kind of a let down.:/ It was like hard crispy toast with a piece of ham in the middle, with a couple of pepperoni and olives. It was so dry and crunchy, I couldn't stand it. I asked for some sauce to dip it into. Then I realized it was missing the lettuce and tomato it was supposed to come with, so the guy threw on one lettuce leaf and tomato. Boo. But other than that, the food was good and we enjoyed some sorbet afterwards.
When we left, Jake just kind of said "So what should we do now? We could go see a movie....go check out that new department store...go get the stuff you need to make your cake for the ward party tomorrow..." I was like, I dunno, I thought you'd have this planned! He said, "Well it's your birthday." So I started getting suspicious that something was up and we just had a little time to kill. We made the plan to go to the movies, but he asked if I'd grabbed the movie passes, and I said no, so he said "Well we'd better run home and grab them." Lo and behold, when we got to our house, he sent me to the door to get them, and when I opened the front door, the house was FILLED with people, all yelling surprise. :) Good one, Jakey boy, good one. I've actually always wanted a surprise party, so it was a delightful thing.
Here are some party pics, thanks to my Bree. Clark and Emma got this beautiful cake, AND a carrot cake, to share with all the party guests. Thank you guys! That was a lot of candles to blow out, but I did it all in one shot!
Cassity brought me some gluten free dairy free egg free soy free cake that she'd made- thank you Cass! And some of my favorite ice cream- So Delicious Coconut Milk mint chocolate chip. Yum. Then Miss Bree had also ordered this completely allergen free cake for me from City Cakes in Salt Lake, which came a few days later and was deeeelicious and super chocolatey. And so cute!
I love this one of Cami, doused in frosting and ice cream!
And Cassity, like another sister. I like how we all coordinate with the tablecloth. :)
Cousins Matthew and Diane- love these two and the many memories we have on the Toone Dairy Farm.
A little present opening goin on. Mom sent me gorgeous scarves, which I've never worn before but now I do!
Little Baby Owen and Bree, with Jordan in the corner.
Cute couple, Brittney and David.
Carrianne! I love you girl. I'd just been to her baby shower the night before and she was very sneaky.
The Daltons- best neighbors ever, and Cami's beloved former nursery leader.
Janelle and Tyler Kendrick- love these two. Janelle was the Relief Society president and I was her counselor in our singles ward in Riverton back in the day. She is probably the most amazing person I know.
Jeff and Amy Grant- I felt so loved to have all these wonderful people helping me celebrate! Amy and I just got released from serving in the Young Women's presidency together.
Cute Kate and Esther- more of the best sisters a girl could ask for.
And sweet Jana, who when I have long hair again someday, I want it to look like hers. :)
Cute neighbor, April Davis and her kiddos came to celebrate.
And beautiful Evelyn Burns, and her hubby Art, joined the party too. Good primary presidency memories with this girl-and she's an awesome friend and example.
See why I felt so loved? It was so nice to see and visit with everyone, and it totally made my birthday a fabulous one.
On my actual birthday the next day, we went to Festival of Trees, which I totally missed last year, and had our ward Christmas party and talent show. Bree came and she played "Silent Night" on the guitar while I sang the first verse in German, then we harmonized, then sang the Peace Peace addition. I loved singing together again- we need to do it more often! It was a splendid day.
Here's to being one year older, hopefully wiser, and healthier too.
And rockin' the scarves.


























4 comments:
What a fun birthday! Our little girl, all grown up! Jake is so sweet to plan all that for you, and I missed seeing a picture of Clark and Emma who made it all possible. Such good family and friends you have- and we all love you!
So glad to come to your thirtieth! What a difference a year makes. On your 29th I was praying for your life. On your 30th we celebrated your life! So grateful for you! Love you, my dear!
I love the scarves!! They remind me of the Russian scarves Nathan has but MUCH CUTER!!! And Lexi is looking so grown up--seeing her in jeans made me realize that the next time we see her she will be a toddler--crazy!
Happy birthday!
I am glad you are feeling better... And just wanted to drop you a note to let you know that my mom is right, steroids really messed with me. Not only did I look like a cabbage patch doll, and all my pictures from that time period I look like I was on some crazy drugs, but it really messed with me emotionally. And I often couldn't even describe how I felt emotionally because I felt like such a mess. It was bad enough that to me it didn't matter how much the steroids helped my physical health I had go off of them for my mental and emotional health. I had to rely on faith and prayers... I am not suggesting that you do that (or that you don't already). I am just trying to let you know that at least that aspect of all this turmoil I can kind of understand how you feel. And it is completely legit to blame your mood swings on your meds. Hopefully sooner than later you will be able to stop taking the steroids and return to yourself again. (fair warning: coming off of them is awful. It gave me some night not why people are addicted to drugs, as bad as I felt on them it was ten times worse coming off of them... So when it is time to come off... Make sure you have an awesome support team standing ready and do it at a time that it won't matter if you are really a wreck for a couple weeks... It might not happen, but then again it might, so just don't try and do it over Christmas or something. And keep good patient loving people around.)
Post a Comment