Cake time! My girlie was turning 6, and she had requested an Ariel cake months ago. I thought she would change her mind, since she has never expressed any interest in Ariel. But nope, she stuck with it! Ok, I happily obliged. I didn't have a plan, but I knew I wanted a two tiered cake. I made two 6 inch and 2 nine inch cakes the day of decorating. I thought I could do it all in one day, unlike other times when I've baked the cake a day in advance. Remind me to always follow that method, because this was too much. I froze the cakes until that evening, though, so they were easy to frost. They did, however, get warped shapes from not being laid flat in the freezer. Note to self: lay flat.
Next came time to make the marshmallow fondant. I did that the same day, too. Booo...too much work for one evening. But I made one big batch, and then turned half of it into this pretty sea water blue. It just happened to turn out to be the exact color of this case that the Little Mermaid figurines came in from the Disney Store. Right on track, perfect!
Isn't she adorable? Id didn't want some scandalous mermaid on the cake, so this one was nice and innocent. This was the Animator's collectors set from the Disney Store. I figured all these would look super cute on the cake, and would be fun to have as a toy later.
I made all my other colors...lots of fun, happy, bright colors. Then I worked late into the night, assembling, frosting, covering, and finally decorating. I rolled tons of little pink balls! And then I used a few Pinterest cakes for inspiration on the ocean plants. They were fun to make!
The only bad thing was that I think I added too much water to my marshmallows to begin with when making the fondant. Then it was wet, and then very stretchy. I added more and more powdered sugar, but it threw the texture off. It ended up bubbling in several places on the cake, once I had it all covered. So don't mind all the little imperfections everywhere!
I love the addition of the little white bubbles. So cute! And so simple!
The reef things were fun to make, with just making holes with teaspoons and straws.
I got to use all my new cake decorating tools, rolling pin, and rotating cake platter that I got for Christmas.
There's Ariel, to finish off the cake! I don't like how her hair clashes with everything. :) In the movie it's that way, too. Nothin I can do about it! But the birthday girl was so excited to see her Ariel cake, and all the kids thought it was pretty awesome.
Happy Birthday, cutie! The cutest, brightest, best birthday cake yet!
1 comment:
This cake is so amazing! All the details and cool underwater pants and critters! Cute sea horse! Just too beautiful to cut and eat! Glad you got some great pictures first! And your girls will always remember their beautiful birthday cakes….unlike you kiddos! =)
Post a Comment