Sunday, December 14, 2008

Festival of Trees

For those of you who haven't been to the Festival of Trees in Sandy at Christmas time, it's pretty amazing! The whole thing is organized to raise money for the Primary Children's Medical Hospital, from the trees that people decorate and sell, to the yummy hot scones you can get for only $1.00! People sign up to volunteer and decorate trees based on different themes in honor of someone who is usually sick or has passed away, and then the public comes in and can pay the bidding price on the tree, which is anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand. They also have gingerbread houses, mini trees, wreaths, etc.

So Jake got tickets to the preview night this year from his work, which was cool cuz we were able to go and see all the trees being bought. It's crazy how fast someone puts down a couple thousand! Then I took a trip there with my residents a couple days later, which was enjoyable. I took pictures of the ones that were especially impressive. Enjoy!This one was made of golf clubs. Pretty clever. And the next one was all blown glass, and it had lights that lit the different sections in time to this Christmas techno music that played.



These trees sold together...I wonder what neutral person bought them? There were a lot of trees based on the different teams, and there was one that was all sports memorabilia autographed by Olympians and professional athletes that went for only $3,500. Not bad.
This one was quite a hit...it was made out of all wood, and it was motorized with little balls that travelled from the top to the bottom through the little system.

And these were just some cool gingerbread houses made by people who must have a loooot of time on their hands!

3 comments:

Brittney said...

That looks so fun! I haven't been to that since I was a little girl.... I'll have to do it again sometime. Glad you were able to go- twice!

Linda said...

woops- that was me. Didn't know I was on under Brittney's name. =)

Cheeseboy said...

Thanks Heather. Now we don't even have to go - I feel like I have already seen the very best trees. that marble tree is cool.