We've resorted to prunes. And doesn't she look lovely in them? :) Our little Cambria has a little problem...she's very constipated. I suspected it would be this way from the day she was born. She didn't poop for like a week after we got home from the hospital. I spent nights fretting and sitting on the computer at midnight googling baby constipation, but she would always go like once or twice a week and act fine. The doctor said it was normal for some babies to be that way...everyone's different. At least she's not one of those babies who poops after every feeding and projects it across the room, right? I never thought I would sit and long for my kid to make a mess in her diaper just to give me peace of mind. Geez.Since Cam started solids and particularly the last month or so, she's been having troubles. It's painful and few and far between. So does anyone have any good advice?? We've tried giving teaspoons of karo syrup, prune juice in a sippy cup and mixed with oatmeal, pureed prunes, peaches, etc. The doctor said if it doesn't improve, to sprinkle Miralax in her drink everyday. That seems extreme, but that may be what we have to do! But if you have any other ideas or experience, please help me!

8 comments:
Maybe you should have an MRI done to see if her digestive system is in the right place in her body. I watch too much "Mystery Diagnosis" on T.V.
Carter had issues with constipation too and we were lucky if he had a dirty diaper once a week. We did the prune juice, etc. but finally resorted to little suppositories (sp?) based on our Dr.'s and pharmasist's recommendation. It's worth it to have a bottle on hand just in case - they're not too bad to insert and usually work within a few hours.
Smiling on demand? Holy cow, she's so gifted. :) I love her squinty face! Just keep up with the "p diet" and I bet things will improve. Before long you'll be sorry you wished so hard for poops! Matt had a killer one today - really just about killed me. Good luck!
Hmmm that's a tough one, not sure what else to tell you that you aren't already doing. We had to do suppositories a couple times with Nathan when he was younger, his record was eleven days without pooping! Good luck I hope it improves soon.... so not fun.
With our little Bradley we had to use glyceryn suppositories a couple times a week....so sad! I hope it all works out. I now mix miralax pretty much in most of bradleys food to keep him regular...good luck!
This sound SUPER gross, but it works every time. If you notice that she's starting to get fussy because of her constipation, get some Vaseline on a q-tip, stick it up her rectum and rub it around in a circle. Like I said, gross, and a little smelly too, but it works, and they feel so much better when they can get that hard poop out that plugging up the rest. Increasing fluids is probably the most natural way to increase the frequency of their stools, this works for Jacob. And usually it will get better the longer they're on solids, and if they're not trying anything new at the time.
P.S. We need to get together again soon. And talk about something else besides poop. I can't believe how much she's changed! She's always been adorable, but somehow she just keeps getting cuter!
Miralax has done wonders for kendell. . . she got so bad it was that or the hospital. So she was on it for a month. . . we then winged her off, and have cut back dairy products. . . and she is fine now. Kendell has an immature digestive system. so she has had this problem a couple of times. . . she also is afraid of solids, she knows that they will plog her up, so she will drink mostly, we have to give her carnation instant breakfast to make sure she is getting all her nutrients. . . keep trying, and pay attention to what plogs her up. . . you can also try benefiber. it is just fiber. . . her doctor told us that it is just as important for babies to get fiber as adults, but for some reason there isn't alot of fiber in anything babies eat, even baby prunes. . . give her the real thing, or raisins. . or just use benefiber, like a teaspoon a couple times a day mixed in with a drink. and make sure she is drinking plenty of water. or juice
Post a Comment