Saturday, July 31, 2010

Vultures and Cows and Giraffes- Oh My!

I love summer outings! The possibilities for fun are endless. One week, in this picture, we went to Tracy Aviary in Liberty Park with Cami's friend Bella. I'd been there a couple years ago, and it was fun to go again and see all the exotic birds. It's like a bird zoo, and only costs a couple dollars to get in. We spent almost 2 hours walking around, and we also saw the bird show which is always fun. Cami liked the big emu that came bounding out at the end. Here we are with some lovely vultures, but we enjoyed seeing the flamingos, eagles and condors.
The next week with the same little friend, we went to Wheeler Farm. I love the little romper Cami was wearing, so I had to take some pictures. :)
Feeding the ducks, and visiting the cute little baby calf...moooooo!
That Saturday, we went to Cherry Hill water park, which has become an annual Yospe tradition (although Abe and Esther's families were missing this time). It's such a fun little place up in Kaysville, with a few waterslides, lazy river, pools, kiddie pirate ship area and an adventurous tube ride. Ike gets us all in for free, bless him. It was a gorgeous day, and we had a lot of fun. Woo woo, check out these two lookers!
We took turns watching Cami or left her with Grandma while we went on the waterslides (which were all really fun except for the part when I unknowingly exposed myself on the tube slide...luckily no one saw except for the lady on the bridge above who told me to pull it up. Thanks, 'preciate it!) Cami kinda liked floating with us in a tube on the lazy river, but wanted to be in the water more than up in the tube. She also liked walking around the shallow kiddie area, and even I did too!
Look at that toothy little grin and cute little pink polka dot suit.
I had to add the nerdy hat. For sun protection of course. And because it makes me chuckle, just like my ugly white legs probably make you chuckle. After a few good hours of water fun, we all went out for pizza, which was a perfect ending to the day.
Then on the Monday before we left for Island Park, we went with some of my family to Hogle Zoo! That was one of the things I wanted to do with my mom while she's here, and my dad had just gotten into town so he was able to come, along with Britt and her kiddoes. I was all proud of myself because I got into the zoo for FREE, by taking 4 Cache Valley cheese/butter wrappers to the ticket office. Look at me go. We spent almost 5 hours there, and by the end we were hot and exhausted but had a really good time! Here's the gorilla picture, which is always a must.
We went to the bird show here, too, and it was definitely the best one around! We had birds flying over our heads left and right, as you can tell from Cam's nervous hand in the mouth. They had talking parrots, random chickens running by in the background, tricky mice, and a bald eagle in front of the American flag at the end, complete with white doves released into the air. hehe. We enjoyed it probably more than the kids.
I loved seeing the baby elephant, Zuri, and all the monkeys and gorillas. There was this pair of monkeys making whoopie- not literally, but they were actually making whooping noises to each other SO loudly. It lasted forever, and I guess they do that in the morning as mating calls or something. Quite entertaining. This was something we found in the Nature's Nightmares exhibit:
Nasty bunch of bats gathered above our heads. What if they all released and got tangled in my hair like Meredith on The Office? Ewww I dislike bats. They were swarming the forest at night when we were at the cabin, but I'll blog about that later. A highlight of the day was seeing the giraffes. They've got to be one of the oddest animals on the planet. And Jake's favorite. This one was so close, it just kept chewing and staring, chewing and staring. What a cutie.
We rode the little train, ate some lunch, and visited the gift shop at the end. Mom was nice enough to buy a little souvenir for all 4 kids- polished rocks for the boys and stuffed animals for the girls. Cami got this cute soft elephant (it was on sale, I promise) that's almost as big as she is! We named her Zuri, and it's a fun reminder of her first trip to the zoo.

No comments: