Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Uneventful Week with a Sick Kiddo

It's been quite a slow week. I'm staying home from church right now, too, because of a sick little kiddo who can't go. It all started on Tuesday, (a day after she played on the dreaded playland, mind you...maybe she picked up a virus from the attacker, or from the dirty slide, who knows). She got a little cough and woke up a couple times in the night. Then on Wednesday, she had a fever in the afternoon, and it all went downhill from there. Fevers over the next 3 days, yucky cough, snotty nose, restlessness, lots of baths, humidifiers, rocking to sleep, juice, and little interest in eating. Poor thing.

Right now, in fact, she's crying in her crib, wanting to get out, because she either a) doesn't think she's tired, or b) knows she's dead tired but can't breathe through her nose and doesn't know how to blow it out and won't let mom do the suction thingy so she won't fall asleep. I've exhausted my resources! Gave her a nice long bath, rocked her forever, turned on her favorite music...no luck. Or maybe she's starving because she refused to eat anything for breakfast except apple juice. She did wake up after an hour of sleeping last night, and as Jake and I were watching a movie, we heard her on the monitor saying "Pizzaaaa. Piiiizzzaaaa." We said, is she saying pizza? Sure enough, Jake had mentioned earlier that we had leftover pizza, and we had some after she went to bed, and she must have been woken from her slumber by the memory and great desire for pizza. So I got her up, gave her a slice, which took her about 30 minutes to eat because she mangled it and left most of the crust, and then I brushed her teeth again and she went back to sleep.

The nights have been rough. Let me give you a run down of our Wednesday night:
-Put Cami to bed around 7. No go....
-Try again at 8....nope
-Give more medicine, rock her to sleep in the chair
-She wakes up at 10, Jake suggests setting up the pack n' play in our room, but I say no because I think that'll just make the night rougher for all of us.
-We're asleep, she wakes up at 11:30, I go downstairs and comfort her.
-Wakes up again at 1, I go downstairs.
-Wakes up again at 2:30, I send Jake and say ok fine, bring up her pack n play! He sets it up while Cami lays in bed with me and smiles because she thinks it's such a new adventure. We all finally go to sleep.

Now let me give you a rundown of Friday night:
-Put Cami to bed in her crib at 7. She falls asleep.
-Wakes up at 10 crying, wants to get out, Jake takes her upstairs to the pack n'play. She cries.
-We bring her downstairs and let her lay on the couch for a minute, but she wants to play and make messes.
-We all go to bed upstairs around 11. Cami's not tired. She's standing in her pack n' play talking.
-Jake brings her in bed with us, but she won't lay still and keeps knocking on the headboard.
-Her cough is yucky, and more fever, so I take her temperature, give her medicine, and give her a teeny taste of honey to help with the coughing. I bring the humidifier upstairs and set it near the pack n' play.
-I think the honey gave her a sugar rush. She won't go to sleep. And she's scared of the humidifier being so close.
-I rock her in the chair at midnight, she's talking and giggling.
-She tries to escape the pack n-play by lifting her leg over the edge, several times. She keeps talking.
-At 2, Jake finally takes her downstairs to sleep in her crib so that she can't escape. She cries for a minute, but finally falls asleep. Hallelujiah.

All this over a dumb cold! I hate colds. They're so miserable. Poor Cam hasn't been out of the house since Wednesday....I had a couple days of not showering and wearing jammies all day since we were shut-ins. (Sorry Jake). I've had snot stains on the shoulders of all my shirts for 5 days now. Please make it stop. This is all part of being a mom, though, so I can't complain. I have to admit, I have enjoyed snuggling with Cami and rocking her to sleep, since she didn't let me do that when she was a baby. It's so precious when her little head is on my shoulder, laying against me, and I can hear her breathing get heavy and know she's fallen asleep. Those are good moments. Now let's hope she doesn't end up with ear infections, and this will all be over soon! Yay for March.

P.S. She's sleeping now. Turns out she WAS hungry....ate some blueberry yogurt and some avocado, but sat dazed in her chair after 5 minutes and then fell right asleep. Bless her.

7 comments:

Brittney said...

I'm sorry! Colds are so awful, especially for babies. I have to admit I laughed at your descriptions of your nights, though, especially the "pizzaaaa" part! Cam's a funny one. For both your sakes I hope she feels better real soon!!!! Hang in there!

The Davis Family said...

You've gotta hate sickness! We were home from church today too but with the stomach flu - Carter also has an ear infection (don't know how that happened since they're not connected at all). I really hate those nights that never end. Such is the life of a mom... Good luck making it through the end of the cold.

My Oatmeal Kisses said...

Sorry Cami has been so sick! You should have made Jake stay home with her and get a break for yourself! It usually takes 2-3 days of being around germs to get a cold. (I don't want you to have another reason to hate play places.) Love ya! I hope she gets better soon!

Unknown said...

Hey Schmeeth! Seriously, those late nights do NOT sound fun. I guess having a dog is easier in that aspect... she won't get sick and all that like a human will. And even if she hates the idea of being in her kennel, she'll usually quite down after a few minutes and fall asleep. Use my services any time! Have me come over before work so you can take off for a few hours and breathe clean air and have a reason to get ready for the day. :) Love you lots!

Esther said...

Sounds like my weekend last weekend with Walter. He had a double ear infection. And he was up all hours of the night. On Monday night/morning he was wide awake at 4:30 a.m. and had been up for hours according to Josh. Bless Josh for letting me sleep. Ugh!

Linda said...

So sorry Cami's had such a rough week! Poor little thing probably doesn't know what hit her! It was kind of comical, though, to hear the play by play version. Made me glad I'm past those days, but you know what?? I don't even remember those kinds of nights, and I'm sure I had many of them! This too shall pass! Love ya!

Sommer said...

Ugh I feel you sister. Cold's are pretty rough. We've been sick all of February too. This year has been brutal with all the sicknesses going around.