Who's heard of Emergency Essentials? I've heard of them, but I don't think I've ever gone into one of their stores or ordered anything online. I'm not a huge food storage/emergency preparedness buff, as I should be! We have some 72 hour kits in our closet that were put together ohhhhh maybe 5 years ago, and food in the basement pantry, but that's about it. I should get crackin if I want our family to survive in a disaster or emergency and not have to mooch off neighbors!
Right now, you can get a $10 gift card to Emergency Essentials just for trying out their free Food Storage Analyzer tool online here. It's a neat tool that allows you to take inventory of your pantry and food storage by entering in the items and quantity that you have. Then you can customize it by entering in the number of people in your family and their ages, and it will tell you how many days worth of food storage you have for your family's nutritional needs. I tried it out, and it's eye opening! I don't have nearly as many days worth of food to last us as I thought!
But I do have a confession to make. I am a cerealholic. When I was growing up, we ate cold cereal for breakfast most days, and I NEVER skip breakfast. So cereal has always been a staple in my life. My mom kept our cupboard well stocked with at least a few different boxes to choose from, and THEN she also had a backup stash that I loved to peruse through if I wanted a different kind. It was like going shopping right at home. SO, I think that's where I got it from. I blame my mother. And sales paired with coupons. These days, if I can get a box of cereal for under a dollar, I jump on it...but I generally won't pay more than a dollar anymore. So right now in my pantry, I have a grand total of about 50 boxes of cereal. :) According to expiration dates, they'll last us through next May!
This is part of the collection....minus the top shelf full of cereal. Excessive? Perhaps. But they all get eaten!
Here are a few tidbits of cereal info regarding me:
-I can never just have one cereal to choose from in the morning. I like variety. I usually have one bowl of healthy/substantial cereal, followed by some of another kind just for fun, and to use up the milk.
-My favorite cereal of all time is Oh's! by Quaker. Mmmmmm. Delicious little crunchy rings of sweetness and oats.
-Growing up, we'd get to pick out a birthday cereal, and Oh's were always my first choice. Those or Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
-These days, I love Post Honey Nut Shredded Wheat and Quaker Oatmeal Squares with Brown Sugar. Both are heavy, filling, sweet yet healthy.
-On the occasion that I eat Trix or some other colorful cereal, I try to eat all of one color before moving to the next. It's like a fun little game, and it makes it last longer.
-When my sisters and I would fly home after a semester away from college or wherever, one of the first things we'd do was open the pantry, pick out one of the yummy cereals and enjoy a bowl. Even if it was midnight. It was the comfort of being home.
-Other favorites include: Cracklin Oat Bran, Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds, Great Grains with Pecans, Product 19 (not sold around here but it's soo yummy), Kashi Go Lean Crunch, and the good ol sugary standbys like Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch, Golden Grahams, and Lucky Charms. Mmmmmm.
I want some cereal now.


3 comments:
I remember ALWAYS eating cereal at your house. I loved the stash that your mom kept in the laundry room and it was seriously like grocery shopping in there! And I am right there with you on the Oh's. They are STILL my favorite cereal!
Those are sooo funny!! Especially the 'eat by color' thing. I do stuff like that too, though - with a bowl of Lucky Charms, I eat my wheat pieces first and try to save the marshmallows for the end. My weakness, though, is Cocoa Puffs. I love the chocolate milk at the end. :)
Mmmm. I want cereal now TOO! Lucky me, I have a box of Product 19 on top of my fridge. Phew! Sometimes when I go to your house, I like to open that storage closet just to stare at all your fun cereals. If only I had that kind of storage space at my apt! I love your cereal obsession and am thankful Mom raised us well. :)
Post a Comment