Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Good and the Bad

Oh good, I don't have an ET finger anymore. So now the typos will be purely due to eyesight. :)

Things that have sucked so far:
-The nausea that started this all. Well, first pain on Thursday (my non-existant Thanksgiving) night, followed by pain meds, followed by nausea, followed by throwing it back up.
-Being rushed to the ER by Jake at 6 am Friday morning, because we were worried that something had gone wrong with my surgery, especially since it's a little dangerouos to throw up afterwards.
-Almost getting killed in the car when Jake accidentally ran a red light and stopped in the middle of the intersection as he said "Ohhhh shoot" and I open my eyes to find cars coming at me and swearving around us. That was scaryy and unsettling.
-Waiting in the ER for hours to get vitals, tests done, and finally do a swallowing test only to hear the words "I'm sorry, there's a hole in your esophagus".
-To see the surgeon come in on his day off and say that we'd need to do an emergency endoscopy to put in a stint that would stay in my esophagus and help the hole close up after a copule months. All the while I was feeling totally yucky, drugged and out of it and hardly remeber any of this
-Went in for yet another procedure under anesthesia and came out ok, only to drop into critical condition in the recovery room. I remember laying there with a nurse forever, listening to her say "Ok Heather, I need you to breathe. Take a deep breath into the oxygen mask, and now I need you to do a good cough." It was so confusing.
-Hearing Jake, my father-in-law, my dad, and Bree all telling me to hang on and keep fighting. That was good, actually, but I really thought I was on the verge of dying. I remember thinking "This could be the end."
-Having hit completely rock bottom coming out of the recovery room and going into the ICU on Friday night, looking like death.
-Can't sleep at night because just when I'm in a deep slumber due to some nice pain meds or something, they come in and need my vitals or to take some blood throughout the night, and then I can never fall back asleep. Grrrr.
-The gown- oh how I still hate hospital gowns! And exposed butt cheeks.
-No TLC! I'm so disappointed.
-Looking forward all weekend to being able to drink grape juice as I was told I would, to see if my drainage showed purple which means the hole was still leaking, or if it would come out clear. (I have little drainage bags hanging out of my stomach-gross, huh). Only to find that I did not get to drink grape juice but just some other poisonous yellow contrast drink, which revealed that there most likely is still a hole in my esophagus despite the stint that was put in place to fix it.

The Good Things:
-The fact that I graduated from the ICU on Monday afternoon and went down from cords and bags galore to just my nutrition line in my arm.
-The fact that Nathan printed out family pictures to hang all over the walls, Clark and Emma brought a Christmas wreath and cinnamon pine cones, and I have a homey little room now.
-All the Nutrients in my TPN (Total Parental Nutrition), which is the feeding line going into my right arm and down to my heart: amino acids, dextrose, fat emulsions, sodium, potassium, chloride, acetate, phosphate, calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, magnese, chromium, celmium, MVI, protein, lipid. Sounds like the whole periodical table!
-The 6:00 "feeding time" every night when they bring in the nice new full bag of milky goodness to last me through the next day and I call it dinnertime. Hey, it's all I got.
-The way Jake has stayed by my side since Friday (and through this whooooole journey) and is so involved, concerned, loving, helpful, and willing for me to get better. I love him so much.
-The way my mom jumped on a plane regardless of teaching, seminary, and masters duties because she heard her baby girl needed her help. And the fact that my dad was already here for a few days on his way to CA. Talk about a miracle.
-The encouragement, prayers, well wishes, motivation, and kicks in the butt from everyone to suck it up and keep going.
-The times I've allowed myself a good cry pretty much everyday, thrown a pity party, and then tried to suck it up and remember how blessed I am to be at this point.
-The way Cami still loves me regardless of my looking like a sick rat, hunched over with cords coming out of me. She'll still give me kisses and hugs and smiles and treat me like her old Mommy, and I love her for that.

9 comments:

Laura said...

I can't believe all that you have gone through!! Wow, you are one tough lady. I hope you recover quickly and that you can put this all behind you!

Sommer said...

Oh this made me cry. There are just no words. I can't believe what you're going through and have been through. I can't believe you still have a sense of humor after all of it and that makes me so proud of you and admire you so much. You are so strong. It's not fun to be forced to be strong but you are and you're amazing and I'm so glad your mom is here with you.

Brittany said...

Heather!! I have been hearing about your updates through Ike & Jana, and I have been so worried about you! We were so relieved to hear you are doing much better now!! We have been praying for you and will continue to! You are so strong! and btw...your little girls are so adorable! Thanks for keeping us all updated!

The Gibbons said...

Heather, our prayers are with you. We love you! Your family in Texas... :)

Adam and Jessica said...

You continue to be an amazing daughter of God! Wow! No wonder you were such an amazing kid, so you could grow up to be an amazing women, wife and mother! Just remember Heavenly Father is aware of all your trials and loves you so very much! Hang in there friend! I still think, WOW, you are such an inspiration with your great outlook! Our thoughts are with you! Love you! xoxo.

Esther said...

Heather, I think now if we compared our "war stories" of worst post-pregnancy outcomes you would win hands down! My and Josh's hearts are with you and Jacob always, every day because we know exactly what it's like to be in the ICU after having a baby. I was there just (almost) 20 months ago. We love you and hope you get better soon. If you ever need to vent call me. Even if it's after you are out of the hospital.

I just want you to be prepared. This is going to affect you emotionally for months, maybe years. I remember walking Mosie (when I finally had the strength to walk her)and for months and months those walks were the times that I would just cry and cry. I really think something like this gives you Post-Traumatic Stress. But it gets better and easier and slowly life goes back to normal. Love you! Let me know if you need ANYTHING. ~Esther

Brittney said...

You've definitely gone through lots of sucky things, but the good things seem to be outweighing the bad! I loved getting to hang out with you today. There's certainly a special spirit in your hospital that I miss when I'm not there. And you, of course. :) And I love that Cami doesn't care that you're sick. Of all the things you wrote, that brought the most tears to my eyes. I'm looking forward to seeing you again on your birthday! We'll try to make it special, even if it's not ideal. I'm so glad you're getting stronger each day! What a difference between where you are now and where you were even two days ago!! You're amazing! Love you!!

Unknown said...

Oh Schmeeth. I think the worst thing so far was that you didn't get to drink grape juice, even after ALL that waiting and anticipating! *sigh* You are so patient and amazing. I don't know how you physically have survived almost 7 days without DRINKING WATER. How is that even possible?! 2 thumbs up for chapstick and spongy swabs. I love you. This has been a crazy ride and you're just bobbing around in your seat, wonder what comes next... a big fun downhill slope or another big climb. Who knows. I'm hoping for a big fun downhill part. You look AMAZINGLY better and so much healthier than you have looked in a long time. I am thankful for your milky dinner bag. :) This will be a forever Birthday to remember. Crossing my fingers for Friday test results!!! Love you.

Heidi Perez said...

This made me cry! Ugh! Just when you think something is fixed, something else goes wrong :( :( :(. I'm so glad Jake didn't get into a car accident that night! Poor guy. His mind was probably in a frantic survival-mode blur. And thank goodness (i.e. Heavenly Father) for children, who keep us going and help us smile through it all. I put your name on the temple rolls the other night. (And they stay there for two weeks, so hopefully that'll cover you until you're home and recovery *properly*.) And I've been praying for you every day. I'd love to come up and see you, if you don't mind. Will you have Jake text me when, where, etc? 762.7476
Alles Liebe and alles Gute!