Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A Frozen Olaf Cake

This was a fun cake to make. Cami had requested a Frozen cake as soon as we watched the movie in December. Her birthday was on March 15, so I had some time to think about it. What little girl wouldn't love a 2-tiered, snowy wintry cake with a lovable snowman on the top?? I knew that would be the easiest route to go, rather than try to fandangle a fondant Elsa.

It all started with blue cake. It's pretty crazy...if you walk down the baking aisle nowadays, there are blue versions of everything! Blue cookie mix, cake mix, muffin mix, blue icing, marshmallows, etc. All for the Frozen fanatics!
I made 2 9-inch rounds and 2 7-inch rounds and prayed that they would turn out of the pans ok. (one of them didn't, but the beauty of cake decorating is that you can still piece it together, hide it, frost and fondant over it and no one ever knows!
I baked the cakes a few days ahead and froze them. Then I made the marshmallow fondant the night before. I was really worried because I think I added too much powdered sugar, because it was tough. The next morning when I tried to roll it out, it was so tough and stiff, I almost called it quits! I stuck it in the microwave for a few seconds, and kept kneading and kneading, and it finally became pliable.
I decided to do 2 different shades of blue for each tier. Then the easy part was leaving most of the fondant white for snow!
This was the first time I've made a 2 tier cake, and also trying to cover both tiers in fondant. It was a learning experience and an adventure! I just plugged along and improvised and didn't care about the imperfections. I'm not a professional! And my 5 year old wouldn't care about imperfections.
I used 2 different snowflake cookie cutters for decor, and free handed the pine trees. I rolled a million little balls until both bases were covered. I used star sprinkles for detail. I free handed the letters for her name, but one day I would love to get alphabet letter cookie cutters to use! And I stressed over how to make that top snowy white layer look like it was dripping, but I just cut it as best I could and then rounded it with the curve of a plastic baby spoon. haha it's all about using whatever you can find!

I watched a fondant Olaf tutorial to make this little guy, and I'm glad I at least got something that resembles Olaf! I used toothpicks to hold him together, and to anchor him to the cake.
I did all of this the day of the party, so I had to hurry towards the end. If I'd had more time, I would have improved Olaf's eyes and different little details, but after hours of work, enough is enough! He kept wanting to lean further and further! That's ok though, he stayed put for the birthday girl, who was thrilled with the end result.
I love these candle delight pictures!

She finally was able to blow them out! And everyone was surprised when the cake was cut, to reveal bright blue yumminess.

3 comments:

TheAdamBarlowFamily said...

OK. You are so super talented! The cake is absolutely perfect and Cami's face is priceless!

TheAdamBarlowFamily said...

OK. You are so super talented! The cake is absolutely perfect and Cami's face is priceless!

Linda said...

Not only is the cake as adorable as Cami, but it looks like it tasted delicious!! Way to go, Heather!