Sunday, February 1, 2015

Final Post on Our California Trip- Disneyland, California Adventure, Santa Monica Pier

 On Friday, we woke up to a torrential downpour! We had seen in the weather forecast that the day would be yucky weather, so we planned to just take it easy and have a day off from adventure and crowds. Let's be honest- I was exhausted. A day of playing games and watching movies and lounging sounded good to me.
 But we didn't stay put for long. Grandpa knew of a free science museum called the California Science Center in LA. We decided to pay a visit, although we did NOT want to get stuck in the same horrible traffic we'd encountered the night before. So we left after lunch, spent about an hour there, looking at their sciencey exhibits. Grandpa spelled out "That's all folks" here.
 Checking out a space something or other (missile? shuttle?)
 The space shuttle called the Endeavour, found its home here after making more than 25 missions into space. It's crazy how massive it is!
 Our museum visit was cut a little short after Lexi stole Cami's dollar bill, and when Cami tried to lunge after it, she slipped on the floor and face planted on her lip. Poor thing had a big fat lip after that. When we got back to the hotel, though, she was all smiles and ready to go swimming in the outdoor pool. The rain had stopped, and Jake was nice enough to brave the unheated pool with the girls.
 Afterwards was french braid time while watching The Santa Clause on TV, and then a nice dinner cooked in our hotel room.
 Saturday, we woke up early and ready for a LAST day at Disneyland. This was our Magic Morning day, where we could get into the park an hour before it usually opened. Since it opens an hour earlier on Saturdays anyways, we had to be there at 7 am! This was our only chance to see Anna and Elsa from Frozen. I had to book it across Disneyland, into Fantasyland and to the Frozen house to stand in line for a Fastpass. I think I wanted to meet them more than Cami and Lexi did! Ohh the things we do as parents. :) Here's a glimpse of the castle in the early morning light.
With our magic morning, we went on Matterhorn, the Toy Story ride, and Cami and her awesome Daddy went on Space Mountain. She loved it! Crazy girl.

Luckily, it was a beautiful, sunny day. Unluckily, it was a SATURDAY! Which means super crowded, even in the off season. I can't imagine a crowded hot summer day. We did all the usual- Dumbo, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, etc. It was fun to run into the Mad Hatter
 I love this fairytale house.
 The Storybook Canal boat ride was closed, unfortunately. I don't remember this ride at all.
 I finally dragged everyone to Pixie Hollow to meet Tinkerbell. I was all about meeting characters, since I'm not a ride person anymore! Cami would much rather do rides though. :)


 She was so cute!
 Yay, Captain Hook!

 It was finally our time to get in line to meet Anna and Else. We waited in line for about 25 minutes still, even with the Fastpass. But I'm glad we got to do it. Olaf sat on the roof and chatted away.
 Inside the house, there were all kinds of fake confections to admire.
 And then there they were! So much more magical at Disneyland than any of the other places we've met them. :) Because these are the REAL ones! They chatted with the girls, and made them feel special. Disneyland mission accomplished!
 Next we rode on the cars on Autotopia. Lexi Lou was the driver of our car, which made for a nice bumpy ride! She was so incredibly happy though.
 Lookin good, girl! Awww she's going to turn 16 WAY too fast!
 Lovin it!


 Grandma and Grandpa promised the girls churros. They enjoyed them while we watched a fun Magical Map Mickey Mouse show, with all kinds of character singing and dancing.
 We saw reindeer Pluto!
 And Jack Skellington with Wendy! I'm not even sure they were employed by the park. They were just wandering around, looking freaky. :) But it was fun.
Winnie the Pooh corner was fun. Lexi and I loved that ride!
 
Cami had been wanting to go on Splash Mountain ALL day long, so we finally went a few times and got soaked!

 I LOVE this picture! Totally classic. Grandpa totally hammed it up. I did not.
 Take another look. Sheer terror!
Jake and Cami are lovin it...they're naturals!
                         
 Oh look, there they are again!
Happiness in balloons!
Since it was SO incredibly crowded, we couldn't take much more of Disneyland. We left around 4, and decided to hop back over to California Adventure for one last hurrah. Jake's idea this time- not mine! See, we're both adventure junkies. He really wanted us to to on the Ariel ride, which I'm glad we did because it was adorable! And what a good Grandpa.
 Still one of my top favorite Disney movies!
 My Prince
 We ended the day with one last ride- Goofy's Sky School. It was about a 45 minute wait, but it was fun and worth it! Kind of like Wild Mouse, where it's a little roller coaster that whips around edges of the track way high up in the air and you feel like you're going to zoom off the edge!
 Such a happy sight!
 The Disney Day came to a close. We were all thoroughly exhausted, and ready for dinner and bed. I don't remember what we ate when, but we caught some dinners at Pei Wei, Chick-fil-A, Rubio's, and cooked in our hotel. The week came to an end, and we flew out on Sunday, December 14th. The girls were sad to leave the fun hotel and the Disney Jr. channel. :) Lexi sure knew how to lounge!
We packed up that morning and decided to make one last stop before hitting the rental car place and airport. Santa Monica Pier!

 I am in love with this photo. Pure happiness and beauty.
 We walked along the boardwalk to the very end, and I just relished the view of the wide open sea. The ocean really is a beautiful sight. I love the Utah mountains, but I think my heart is partial to this.


 And the colors!
 And the palm trees! Be still my heart.
We enjoyed a super yummy lunch that Grandpa Yospe hand picked so that I could enjoy some good gluten free Thai food. The girls loved their chicken satay and rice. It's hard to find things that these picky little eaters will eat these days! If they had their choice, they'd have chicken nuggets and fries for every meal. *sigh* So yay for Thai!
 We turned in our rental van, made it to the airport, and watched as our Southwest plane pulled up to the gate before we boarded. The girls did well on the flight, and we were all filled with memories to last a lifetime.
So long, California! We had an amazing trip and can't wait to go back!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That picture of the Disney balloons might be the best thing in the whole world. :)

Linda said...

I want to go with you next time! What an amazing California trip! The ocean, sky, trees and flowers were beautiful! So glad you got to make all those fabulous memories.

Brittney said...

Gorgeous beach pics!