Saturday, May 14, 2016

An Inside Out Cake

Cake time, once again! I'm tellin ya...it's pretty much just every 6 months, when my girls have birthdays. But it's a fun bi-annual tradition. This time, Cami requested an Inside Out cake. That would be a fun one to do! Happy and colorful. I didn't have a plan, though, so I started looking on Pinterest of course for different ideas. I kind of meshed a few together as the cake started coming together. First, I started with 2 boxes of chocolate cake mix, with the help of this cutie.

I'm proud of myself for knowing the trick for greasing cake pans for chocolate cake. Instead of coating with crisco and spreading flour, you spread cocoa powder instead to match the chocolate!

I baked the cakes the night before and froze them, and then I assembled and decorated them all on the day of the party. Not a great idea! Especially since I had to make a whole new batch of fondant, too. Coloring the fondant takes a lot of time, so I need to remember that next time it needs to be done beforehand! Anyhoo, I stacked cakes, and covered each tier with white fondant. The problem this time around (because there's always a problem) was that my cakes were super moist and soft, so frosting them was a chore. Then the white fondant was too thin, so it showed lumps and bumps and crumbs underneath. Boooo. So I knew I needed to cover up pretty much all of the cake. That's when I got the idea to do the emotion's faces around the top tier of the cake, and it turned out to be really fun!
There's Anger, and here's Sadness.
Fear, and Disgust.
Aaaaand then I watched a Youtube video on how to sculpt a Joy, just like I did for when I put Olaf on top of Cami's Frozen cake. The problem is that I use marshmallow fondant...not gum paste like they do in the videos. Gum paste is much more stiff and more like clay...I should try it sometime! But I did the best I could with my fondant, and stuck her down into the top of the cake.
Next, I added the polka dots to the bottom tier, which was a fun process. I realized that I don't own ANY round cookie cutters, so I had to get creative! I used a jar and a couple of lids of different sizes.
I lined the cake with gumballs this time, rather than rolling fondant balls. Much easier, and nice and colorful like Inside Out!
It was a BIT hectic getting the cake finished before Cami's party at 4:00 on Friday. I worked on it ALL day, and was still finishing it at 3:55. Haha. But the birthday girl loved it, and that makes it all worth it every time!
Happy 7th to my own little Joy! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's such an awesome cake!! The faces look exactly like them- don't know how you did that! Probably getting the eyes just right?? And what a good idea to use cocoa to dust the pans! You're amazing, Heather! You didn't even mention how your hand kept cramping and locking up while you were decorating! What a trooper you are, and it looks perfect! Even matches the tablecloth! :)

Curtis said...

You are a one-in-a-million talented mom! I can't believe you are able to figure these things out. What fun emotions. I like the cake more than the movie. What a cute little girl on top! I love the pic of the birthday girl and cake, and the cute pic of little sis looking on as she holds her elbow in the other final pic. Great work mom!