
Chicken Pot Pie- The Cheater Way (Quick n' Easy)
Ingredients:
2 or 3 chicken breasts, cubed
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup frozen peas or mixed vegetables
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
2 tbs butter, melted
1 package refrigerated flaky layered biscuits
Directions:
Preheat oven to 425. I thawed my frozen chicken, and sauteed it in a skillet with the onions and celery. Then I added the frozen veggies, poured the chicken broth in, brought it to a boil, and let simmer for about 10 minutes until veggies are tender. Then I poured in the soup and milk, and mixed in until creamy. You can add more or less, depending on the consistency you like. I added some pepper and garlic powder as well.
Meanwhile, in a deep dish 9 inch pie pan, pour a little of the melted butter to line the bottom of the pan, and lay a few of the biscuits in the bottom. Separate the biscuit layers so that they evenly cover. Bake those for about 10 minutes, and then pour the chicken filling into the pan on top of the biscuits. Cover the top with the remaining biscuits, and drizzle the rest of the butter over top. Bake for 15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and filling is bubbly. Enjoy!
*I combined 2 recipes I found on Allrecipes.com. One was for the REAL thing, and one was a cheater recipe. The cheater part being the cream of chicken soup, and the biscuits, of course. You can do what your heart desires, and what you have time for. If you want the real thing, just get a pie crust and make a little roux with flour, butter, chicken broth and milk. I didn't think it tasted half bad with the cheater method, and Jake's craving for chicken pot pie was fulfilled!
I also only had a regular 9 inch pie pan, so I poured the extra filling I had left over into a pyrex glass bowl and lined the top of that with biscuits as well. Easily feeds a family of 4. Jake and I enjoyed it, and even little Cam Cam liked it! And it's a good thing, cuz we're having the leftovers for dinner tonight. :)
1 comment:
Good job, Heath! It sounds like something even my boys would like. You should post about recipes more often!
Post a Comment