Monday, February 15, 2010

Simple Pleasures

I've seen this on friend's blogs and was inspired to do a list of my own simple pleasures. It's a joy to write about things that make you happy, and to read about what makes others happy. So here are a few things that stood out in my mind that have made me happy lately.

Sweet Potato FriesI am in love with these puppies. We had them once at a friend's house, and I didn't quite know what to think of them. I'm not a sweet potato fan. But then a couple months later, Jake said that he wanted to try making some cuz it sounded really easy. So I made them for dinner one night, and fell in love! They are so soft and yummy on the inside and crispy on the outside, and way healthier than regular deep fried potato fries. To make mine, I just peel a sweet potato, cut it into strips, lay them on a foil-lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, and bake at 425 for about a half hour. Mmm. Just last week, that's all I had for lunch on 2 different days, cuz I saw a sweet potato in the cupboard and my heart yearned for it. I like to think it's healthy, cuz sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients, right? So that's how I justify having just fries and ketchup for lunch.

Evenflo Baby Gate
This is my newest pleasure! For about a month now, I've been telling Cambria to stay off the stairs (which is pointless) because she'd start creeping up the first few steps before I'd scoop her up and move her away. Our stairs go upstairs to our bedroom, so there's no reason for her to have to use them, and they just make me nervous. So we knew we had to get a gate, we just hadn't yet. But when I got home from my primary activity on Saturday, there was this lovely gate set up on the stairs, which Jake had surprised me with for Valentines Day. It was a lovely surprise for a mom. Now I have peace of mind that Cambria will not have any big falls down the stairs! I like it cuz I can step over it if I want, or I can open it with one hand, and I like the subtle gray color. Pretty classy, eh. So now Cami stands at it and jiggles the gate door, just pining for those inviting yet forbidden stairs.

A Good Read
I'm not a big reader. I'll be honest. As a little girl, I used to read books like The Little Princess, and then the Babysitters Club Little Sisters Series, then all the Jack Weyland LDS teen novels, and the Kate's Turn series by Cheryl Crane. Then I went to college, and all reading for pleasure went out the window. I did read a really good book in a geriatrics class: Tuesdays with Morrie. It was a meaningful book, with morals and emotions and feel good moments. I like books like that. Last year I read all the Children of the Promise an Hearts of the Children books, and loved those. Over the past month, I've gotten back into the habit of reading for fun, starting with The Christmas Sweater, then Christmas Jars, then For One More Day by Mitch Albom, and now The Five People You Meet in Heaven. I'd seen the movie but never read the book, and it was really good! Now I'm looking for my next good book to read.

Eucerin Hand Lotion
This lotion saves me during these super dry Utah winter months! My hands are always dry and not very pretty, so I can't just use the pretty smelling wimpy lotions- I need the heavy duty intensive strength non fragranced lotion, and Eucerin is the best! I can't go to bed without putting it on my hands, which I think is more a habit now than a neccessity...my Mom got me into the chapstick/lotion bedtime habit years ago. Darn her. But every little bit of hydration helps!

Hot Showers
I never want to get out of the shower. I'm just so thankful for the heavenly hot water, maybe because my house is usually too cold for my comfort. :) And because I'm just coldblooded and ALWAYS have freezing hands and toes, and I feel bad for Cami cuz she has to put up with cold hands changing her diaper. Sorry! Jake is always amazed at how I can be cold when he is sitting in a t-shirt, perfectly fine. No fair. So anyways, I got to sit in a hot tub the other week, and was in heaven for those 10 minutes while Jake swam with my nephews in the pool. Jake can't stand hot tubs, but oh how I would love one in our backyard! But for now, I have the trusty shower with the piping hot water that warms me for those few minutes a day.

Cold Cereal
I could live off of cereal. It is such a trusty food. So comforting, so constant, so yummy and so filling. I actually get excited when I wake up in the morning, because I know I can go downstairs and eat a bowl of cereal. And I have oh so many boxes to choose from! Due to excellent cereal deals almost every other week, we have about 40 boxes down in our food storage. I don't buy the fluffy, sugary stuff either....I buy the hearty stick to your ribs kinds, like my favorite: Honey Nut Shredded Wheat. Mmm. There's just something about the nutty crunch and the sweetness of the biscuits that gets me every time. I also love Quaker Oatmeal Squares, Oh's, Go Lean Crunch, Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds, and Great Grains. I have to eat high fibrous cereals, you see...they have become my good friend. I always have a bowl of the hearty stuff, and then with the milk I have left over, I have a 2nd bowl of another kind to fill my cravings. Jake is used to my cereal fetish now. I just could not live without it. And in an emergency, we will be GOOD to go with our cereal supply.
Well there are some of my simple pleasures this month. What are some of yours?

3 comments:

Brittney said...

What a fun post, Heath! I enjoyed reading about all of those things, especially the cereal. :) I'll have to do a post like that! It's always good to reflect on simple pleasures. :)

Sommer said...

Yeah that was so fun to read! I'm glad you are still the cereal loving Heather that I know so well. I love oatmeal squares and honey bunches of oats. They are my favs too!

Linda said...

What a fun surprise! I'll have to try your sweet potato fries sometime....I've been craving avocados lately- and I used to hate them. Interesting how your tastes evolve. And I'm so glad you got the gate- I'll rest easier now. =)