Luckily, over the years I've gained a conscience and a sense of what is going into my body and the risks and benefits of certain foods. And now, my love of food has developed into a love of cooking and baking, and trying new recipes. I try to make healthy meals, I shy away from recipes with too much butter or sugar or oil, and I love to pack in veggies and things that I know will be for our GOOD. But that doesn't mean I don't still enjoy a bowl of ramen every now and then. It truly is my weakness. I think of it as a bowl full of Heaven. Mmmmm. And if I am going to a party or function and know that there will be food involved, I am 10 times more excited to go. And if I find out about any way to score free food, I'm there. You betcha.
Anyways, where was I? Oh yes, my love of food. Food is a powerful thing, how it can bring people together and stir up so many memories and emotions. For me, holidays are often associated with food...certain dishes that my mom used to make every year as I was growing up. And so we introduce: Breakfast Casserole.
(I borrowed this picture from someone's blog...it's not the exact casserole, but is a nice illustration nonetheless). I've probably eaten this dish for Christmas morning breakfast for 25 years of my life. My mom got the recipe from her friend when they lived in Illinois (where I was born) and has made it ever since. It is quite delicious, but it means more than just a tasty dish. It represents all the Christmas Eves being with my mom in the kitchen, preparing it. It represents the savory smell of it baking while our family opened presents Christmas mornings. It brings back all those times we'd sit down to the table after opening half of our presents (we like to draw out the process), with the hot casserole on the table along with freshly baked cinnamon rolls or coffee cake. It reminds me of taking the first hot delicious bite, stuffing ourselves, and it being my absolute favorite meal of the year. And so, with great pleasure, I share this recipe with you. Maybe you'd like to enjoy it this Easter Sunday before General Conference if you don't want to wait all the way till Christmas!
Breakfast Casserole
Ingredients:
8 slices bread
2 c. grate sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb. sausage
8 beaten eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 t. mustard
1 T. minced onion
1 can mushrooms
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 c. milk
Butter a 9x13 pan. Line the bottom with bread, and break into pieces to fit if needed. Sprinkle the cheese over. In a skillet, brown the sausage slowly, drain grease. In a bowl, beat the eggs and add 1 1/2 c. milk, mustard, onions and mushrooms. Add the mixture to the sausage, and pour over the bread and cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Just before baking the next morning, mix the soup and 1/2 cup milk and pour over the casserole. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees, and bake uncovered for 1 hour and 15 minutes. When hot and bubbly, take out and cover with foil and let sit for a few minutes. ENJOY!
*My mom likes to add a small can of green chilies, so if you like a little spice, do it!
**I think next time I make this, I might even add some spinach, since I seem to love it in everything these days! It would add a little nutrition and make it even tastier. Have fun with it, add what you like and make variations to suit your family's taste.
I hope you try this recipe and start your own family food traditions. And if you already have, do share! I love reading about food, too. :)
5 comments:
Cathi makes something like this on Christmas morning and it is my favorite breakfast of the year.
So are you making it for Easter? You should! I just cut out a recipe from a magazine that's similar, but without the bread and mushrooms, my least favorite ingredients. :)
I have been impressed with your turn to healthy eating and desire to try new things! Way to go!
Yum we did something similar as a family growing up too. I love food too, I am always counting down the minutes until I can eat again :)
Yay, I am so so so so happy that you posted this recipe. I can't wait to try it! I'll let you know how it goes... and I like the can of green chili's idea, I think I'll go that. Not to be too much of a bother but can I have your cinnamon roll recipe too? Thanks!
I love, love, love this food! My mom makes a recipe very similar for christmas morning too!! I love food traditions! I know it's late but Happy 1st B-day Cam!!! She is such a cutie pie! I LOVE your lamb cake too! Ky has a little lamb swing and I used to call her lambie because she loved it soo much! I can't believe how fast our girlies are growing!
Post a Comment