So off we went, and Jake ran ahead with his iPod which I was totally ok with cuz he actually likes to run, and it was just me and Cami chuggin along. I'd walk a little, then run a bit, then walk again, then muster up the motivation to run again. I didn't want the older non-runner lady near me to come out ahead, so I kept an eye on people like that around me to kind of compete with. I'm sure everyone does that. :) Cam enjoyed the ride, and sat straight up the whole time just curiously watching everyone, probably wondering what the heck everyone was doing. The race goes through some neighborhoods, and then the homestretch wraps around the park and ends with cheering citizens watching and waiting for their breakfast. Even though it's a dinky race, and 3.2 miles is not a long way, I was proud of myself for finishing in 40 minutes 24 seconds! Woo hoo!
It's hard to run without being able to swing your arms! And this stroller is not only NOT a jogging stroller, but it's a hand me down from Britt's kids, so I'm surprised it held up after the race. They gave us water bottles as we crossed the finish line, and I met up with Jake and Ike who had finished minutes earlier. I'll be honest- it felt good to finish, but my lungs were on fire and I felt like I might barf, just like after every other 5K I've ever run. Maybe one of these times I'll actually train for a race. Anyways, we waited in line to get our pancake breakfast, complete with ham, eggs and juice.
After Jake got a haircut, we went home, he mowed the lawn, Cami had a nap, and then we headed in the opposite direction down to Provo. My brother Nathan and his wife Allison bought a new home and were moving in that day. We got there right as they were finishing up with the moving truck and stopping for lunch, so then we had a yummy pizza/donut/chip/cookie lunch and totally negated all the benefits of running that morning. But it was mighty good, and it was a holiday, after all! We did help carry lots of boxes up to their condo, and unpacked some things before we left due to Cami's crankiness. She failed to take a nap when we gave her the chance at Grandma Willes's after that, so we chose to go to the park in Orem. She was seriously elated to have SO much grass to run around in. So there was a lot of this:
and this...
followed by this.
She kept running for the sidewalk. She has a thing for sidewalks cuz they're so nice and smooth and easy to walk on! We kept having to reel her in. Oh and before the park, we stopped at Baskin Robbins to get a free pint of chocolate chunk ice cream that we thoroughly enjoyed on the grass. I had the urge to play frisbee, so we dug the ol frisbee out of the trunk. Jake tried to teach Cami how to toss it. It was cute.
She loved being the monkey in the middle.
And almost got the hang of it. Almost.
We ended the day at the Scera Shell right there next to the park for the Davy Jones concert. I'll be honest, I didn't know who Davy Jones was. Monkees? What? But who can resist a VIP dinner, a picture with someone famous (to other people) and a fun free concert outdoors with family? I'm so glad KJZZ decided to sponsor the Scera again this year, because it really has become one of the highlights of my summer! KJZZ gets a bunch of tickets to each of the shows in exchange for sponsorship, and they offer them to clients of course, but whatever doesn't get used- we get to enjoy! This was the kickoff concert, and we enjoyed it with Esther & Walter, Jake's parents, and my sister Bree. "Yeah, I'm a Believer!"


1 comment:
That's so funny that you didn't know who Davy Jones is. I was singing every word to every song and was sort of sad we left early! Thanks for the tickets. I had so much fun!
Post a Comment