Banbury Cross. Oh man. That is the name of the best donut place I've ever been to. And it's right here in Salt Lake City (700 East 740 South). Jake took me there when we were dating, claiming that they had the best donuts and that I had to taste one. It's a small, family owned shop with quite an assortment of yummy donuts. Ever since I tried my first one a couple years ago, they just can't be beat. Krispy Kreme schmispy schmeme. Krispy Kremes always taste sickeningly sweet to me, and you can just feel the butter going down. Coffee shop donuts always have a hint of coffee taste. The last time I had really good donuts was in California at Winchell's, I believe? The huge fluffy glazed donuts we would get at early morning church activities, that would come in the big pink bakery boxes. I don't eat donuts very often, but when you come across a good one, it's something to relish.I had one today. We had just picked up our rental car for me to drive for a few days while the Honda hood gets fixed, and I bid farewell to Jake on his way to work. A sparkle of excitement glittered up inside me when I realized I was just a few blocks away from Banbury Cross. I was going. Cam was along for the ride, and when we got inside the donut shop, a nice employee handed her a complimentary colorful sprinkled donut hole. She was so excited, and loved it. I decided on a classic glazed and the best donut ever: a cinnamon crumb (one for me and one for Jake). Here's the beauty.

This is the reason I felt inspired to do a whole post on donuts. And not just any donut- THIS donut. It is fluffy, yeasty and soft. The inside is so yummy and doughy, and the flavor is delicious and cinnamony, with a perfect balance of sweetness. It's not heavy or overly filling. It's just perfect. The cinnamon crumbs envelop the entire donut, and makes a mess with every bite, but it's a good napkin needing mess. (I was right in the midst of eating my crumb donut and getting crumbs all over my lap when I failed to stop at a right turn stop sign and got pulled over by a cop. Luckily, he saw my last name and asked me if I knew Max and was quite impressed that he was my grandpa. He raved about him being a great policeman in Salt Lake and great man in the church, and let me off the hook. Who has a right turn stop sign anyway?)
The glazed is a perfect fluffy sweet ball of dough. I was tempted to buy a dozen donuts, just to be able to try the pinwheel, chocolate iced, fritter, sugared, and sprinkled later....mmmmm. I'm making myself hungry again. Donuts are ok in moderation, ya know. No one should deprive themself of such goodness. Anyone that lives in UT, or comes to visit the vicinity, needs to stop by Banbury Cross and partake.
3 comments:
Haha Heather, you make me laugh! Are you pregnant?? That's the only time I craved donuts, and just with Brittney. Bad thing to crave! But I'm thinking maybe you should bring some out in your luggage in November!
The donut place we always went to in San Jose was Sam's- in the Nob Hill shopping center on the way to church...remember? Much better than Winchell's! And how lucky were you to be a Yospe and get out of a ticket? That's a great story! Maybe you should've offered him a donut!
That looks GOOD!
They are without a doubt the best doughnut I have ever had. When that Krispy Kreme fad was all the rage, I would bring people one of these and they would swear and Kirspy Kreme for being so bad in comparison.
I've been enjoying these since I was a kid. I hope they last forever.
Post a Comment