Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Due October 8th

Did I mention? ...I'm pregnant.


Pretty sure everyone knows by now, but I wanted to announce it officially and write about my experience so far. Today I am 14 weeks along, which is officially the 2nd Trimester- wahoo!

After my miscarriage, at first I was just wiped out and didn't want to think about it. But after a couple months, I was ready to try again and really nervous that it wouldn't happen. Luckily, at the end of January, I had that hopeful, optimistic feeling. So I took a test, and there was that beautiful little blue plus sign! So that was Thursday, January 27th after a rousing game of women's church basketball. I was so excited to get home that night to take the test, and then to show Jake. Of course we were both happy and grateful.

The next couple weeks were just that period of....feeling good and normal and going about daily life with a big fat secret and wanting so badly to burst out with the news. But it's kind of fun to have a secret. :) From about 6-8 weeks along, I felt really yucky with morning sickness, which is more like evening sickness for me. Ugghhh I hate the sick nauseous feeling that hits and you know you have to eat something but that's the last thing you want to do. And when I'd lay on the couch to try to feel better, Cami would come and pounce on me and jab my stomach as she's climbing about. Blugh. My aversions became asparagus...I'd eaten it a few weeks earlier, and now I couldn't even think about it without feeling sick. Vegetables in general turned me off, and couldn't stand the smell of cooked mushrooms (Jaaaaake). My cravings included soup (hot and sour Chinese soup, ramen noodles, chicken noodle), string cheese and crackers, yogurt, ice cream, and cereal. And still pretty much remain the same. Up till now, I'd been playing basketball at practices and games every week, but I started feeling so yuck and crampy on some days, that I just bowed out. But I had to make up lame excuses cuz I didn't want to tell anyone the real reason yet.

I decided to wait to call my OBGYN, just to make sure this was the real deal and didn't want to get my hopes up too soon. But at 10 weeks, we finally had our first appointment with Dr. Lloyd, my trusty doc from the last 2 pregnancies, at Intermountain Medical Center in Murray. Everything went great, it was happy and problem free, and we had our first ultrasound which looked awesome! We could see the little baby with its legs up in the air, and it was a blessed sight. The machine didn't have sound, though, so I missed out on hearing the heartbeat, but at least we could see the pulsing. It was a good day.

The sickness kind of went away, and then came back for a couple weeks. The fatigue was always there....sooooo tired! Sleeping was already problematic...tossing and turning, bathroom trips, heartburn, etc. And I started to get a bump around 10 weeks, which was kinda crazy. Came way sooner than with Cami! I had to start elasticing my pants. :)

Then on March 15th, Cami's 2nd Birthday,we spread the news! Well, Cami's Big Sister shirt announced it for us. Made it quite easy. It was good to get it out, and for our family to know, and for people to share our joy finally! Since then, everything's been great....I'm feeling good, the sickness is gone, I'm getting a lil more energy, and the bump is growing!
Today we had our 14 week appointment and got to hear the baby's heartbeat! It was such a good sound....strong, loud, thumping...music to a mom's ears. Jake and Cami were there, and it was fun to see Cami's curious eyes at the sound. She doesn't quite get it yet. :) But she knows there's a baby in Mommy's tummy. Our next appointment is May 9th, where we get to find out the gender! Yaaayyy I can't wait. It'll be a good week....a day after Mother's Day, and the week of Jake's birthday. Love this whole journey.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hooray!! You did a great job keeping the secret. Even those bball games when you stayed home sick, I didn't even think pregancy. But all along I was REALLY hoping you were. I just forgot. :) So happy for you! I love the pregnant look again.

My Oatmeal Kisses said...

Congrats Heather! We are all so excited for you!

Linda said...

You're the cutest little pregnant mommy! I'm glad you're feeling better and can enjoy the journey. That's a lot of carbs you're craving though.....be careful! =) Veggies, Veggies, Veggies!

Heidi Perez said...

Ah! You look so beautiful! And congratulation again! I don't think I knew that you had a miscarriage. I'm so sorry. How far along were you? I think I had one before Jason. I called the dr. a few days later and they said it was too late to tell b/c I waited. But even though we weren't sure and I obviously wasn't far along, it was strangely a really sad experience.
Anyway, I'm really sorry :(.
But hooray for the sound of that heartbeat!

Jana Banana said...

We are so excited for you guys! You look amazing and beautiful! I can't wait to find out the gender...I bet you can't either. So fun!!

Sommer said...

Where have I been? Oh my goodness Heather I'm so so so happy for you! That is awesome news! Your baby will be a year apart from Austin! Yay! I can't wait to find out what you're having. YOu look amazing by the way!!