I'm not quite sure what to do now. Without being able to put pictures on the blog, I feel lost! Empty. Saddened. Hopefully I will find a way around the $2.50 a month madness for more storage, and be able to continue on my merry way soon. I just didn't want to leave you hanging, as to the story of the horrible plane ride. Not that it's really a big deal now, I'm home and over it now, but I'll describe it anyways. Just for posterity purposes.
So there I was, at the Baltimore Airport, having just been hugged goodbye by my dear mother. Got through security ok, but it took forever, so we were running late to get to our gate. I wanted to get there before they were boarding so that we'd be sure to make sure there was an open seat for Lexi's car seat, and to have time to go to the bathroom and fill our water bottles. No time though- we booked it to the desk and I asked if there was room for a car seat, and to my horror and dismay, the lady shook her head and said "No". I said, "Really? There's not ONE open seat?" "Nope, sorry. You'll have to check it." Ugggghhhhhh ruin my whole day right there. I'd been spoiled on the plane rides out to PA, being able to take her seat on both flights. And this just happened to be the long, nonstop 5 HOUR flight with no open seats. Fabulous.
They started boarding the A's, and the lady was still ticketing our gear when they announced the family boarding. I was standing there getting antsy, not wanting to miss our chance, but she was taking her sweet time. Finally I was able to wheel the stroller away towards the boarding ramp, trying to keep Cami and all our stuff with me. And at that point I broke down. I totally started crying right there, as I was searching through my purse for our stupid B boarding passes, which were already passed up. Finally someone let me go ahead of them, and the guy taking the tickets saw me openly crying and said, "Uh, are you ok? Are you going to need some help?" "Probably!" was all I could reply, as I struggled up the ramp.
I was falling to pieces as I unloaded my purse and diaper bag, Cami's blanket, pillow, our coats, had to take Lexi out of her car seat, fold up the stroller, and leave that, the car seat and base at the end of the ramp. All the while people are waiting behind me, with good intentions of offering to help, but I was just trying to get it done fast and find a seat. We make our way to the back of the plane where there's an open window seat for Cami, and Lex and I sit down in the middle. As I'm putting our stuff in the overhead bin, I hear "Heather!" And there, coming down the aisle, is my Aunt Chrissy, Jake's Mom's sister. It was such a random surprise, and a tender mercy. She'd been out east visiting her son with her husband, and we were on the same flight home. After seeing my distress, she offered to come sit by me and help with the girls.
I gladly welcomed her help. We settled in, and I held Lexi and gave her her bottle for take off. From running around and getting on the plane, I was SO THIRSTY, but had not had time to get any water. That's a fear of mine anyways, since I get random bouts of heartburn, that I should NEVER be without a water bottle. But of course we had to wait forever for the drinks to come. Meanwhile, Lexi decided to poop right when the plane was taking off, but the fasten seatbelt light was on. Forever. She stunk. I felt bad for people around us. The stewardess wouldn't let me get up to change her until the light went off. After I did change her, she decided to poop again about an hour later.
Ya know that silly game you have to play on the plane, where you sit and crane your neck to see if the bathroom light is on or off, and then you try to beat everyone else to get there when it's green? Well there's only a changing table in the front of the plane, and I was in the back, and I kept getting up to change her again but then someone would beat me there. It was a silly game that went on for awhile. Finally I got to change her, and then Cami needed to go potty so I took her.
Meanwhile, Lexi was SO tired and restless, so she wouldn't sit still, but she also wouldn't fall asleep. She's never been a "fall asleep in your arms" kind of baby. She sleeps when she's laid down. So it was a nightmare. She had 2 bottles of milk and 1 bottle of apple juice, and still wouldn't rest. I had taken dramamine, the drowsy kind, to prevent any kind of motion sickness that I always take as a precaution. So I was tired. And Lexi kept kicking the seat in front of me repeatedly. And squawking. And dropping toys and food left and right. I was covered in glutenous crumbs and smears of crackers and cookies galore- snacks that I could NOT eat.
I was just so done. I cried a few times, secretly. I hid my face. I wanted Jake. I wanted to be home already. I wanted Lexi to sleep. In fact, I prayed over and over in my head that Heavenly Father would help her fall asleep. And when it didn't happen, I felt jipped. How selfish am I. I know sometimes things are just hard, and we have to handle them. But I felt not at all strong enough to handle this. It's like a curtain of depression and anxiety came over me, and I just wanted to cry like a baby.
So weird, right? That's not me. So I blamed it on the steroids. Stupid, I know. But my doctor did remind me that I've been taking steroids for months, which contributes to my puffy cheeks. It's also known to cause some moodiness and depression, which may or may not have been the culprit on this particular day. Anyways, WE MADE IT. Cami had been thoroughly entertained with Chrissy's iPad (bless her), and Lexi never went to sleep and our row was trashed, but we made it. Jake greeted us warmly, and it felt good to be home. I'm sorry he has to put up with my emotions. But I'm so grateful that he does. I'm doing and feeling much better now, thankfully. I just don't want to think of ever flying with the kids by myself again, that's all. :)
5 comments:
I ran out of storage as well. That's crap. I'm not paying $2.50 a month! Google can kiss my bum! Anyway, your airplane story is just like every single one of mine! I break down at least once and I'm not on steroids! Flying with kids is one of the toughest things in the world... hence the reason I no longer fly! Love ya girl! Keep up the good work and progress.
I just saw this post on a blogroll of a friend's blog... hope you don't mind if I comment!
Your photo storage is tied to your user account, not your blog. If you add a new author to your blog and post using that, you have more storage space! I just added my husband's email address as an author but used my own name as the author name and post using that instead. Works just fine again!
Bllllleeeeahhhh for plane rides on your own with kids! :( Even with just Katelyn it can be such a nightmare! Twice as much stuff and two different personalities to contend with makes it that much harder, I'm sure! Thank goodness your aunt was there to help--- a friendly face to scoot over when you have to make all the runs to the bathroom rather than a stranger. And thank goodness it's over!!! lol :) You made it!!!
Your kids are adorable. It was fun sitting with you. Sorry your trip was so hard. I can't think of anything much harder than flying alone with two little kids.
Charis was on Prednizone for a long time. It made her crazy. I blame lots of emotional roller coasters on that.
You are a brave, sweet mom.
Post a Comment