Thursday, November 1, 2012

P is for Pumpkin! A Pumpkin Investigation

 To kick off our Pumpkin week, we took a trip to the pumpkin patch with some other Moms and kids from our neighborhood. It was so fun! The patch was a new one for us, in South Jordan, and the kids had so much fun running through the free corn maze and playing on an array of tractors. Cami and Lexi were all decked out in their Halloween garb.

Look at this cute little pumpkin pie!
 Haha love her pose in this one! Pumpkins, holla!
 The kids climbed on this tractor forever! Who knew it could provide so much fun.
 They also liked finding ears of corn on the ground and playing with them.
 Run, Cami- the cat's going to get you! haha. I don't think she was really scared of the cat, but it sure looks like it here.
Cool sky in the background.
 Mama and girls on the free hayride. It was fun!
 Cami- "Ewwww it stinks!"
Her favorite part: the kiddie sized wheelbarrows!
She picked out a pumpkin for $1, and then we took it home and performed: A Pumpkin Investigation! While I was making up the investigation sheet, she colored these worksheets about the letter P and the life cycle of a pumpkin.
 Here she is getting her pumpkin ready for the big investigation.
 First, she drew a picture of what her pumpkin looks like. Then we counted and marked the lines on the pumpkin. Then we took it into the bathroom and plopped it in the filled sink to see if it would sink or float!
 It floats!!
 Then we counted how many blocks tall the pumpkin was (minus the stem).

Here's our investigation sheet. I found it on pinterest here. :) See the first box on the left with the little pumpkin she drew? The other scribblings are her name, starting with i. Then an m, a line for a, and a backwards C. So cute. :) We're continuously working on it.
Oh and the seed line is blank because I gave up on counting the seeds. We had to go somewhere, so we just opened up the pumpkin, cleaned out the guts, and washed the seeds off to cook them. (I just drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, then roast them at 400 for about a half hour). We started to count them by tens, and then gave up. But there were a lot in that little pumpkin!

The next day, we painted our pumpkin! All I have right now is acrylic paint, so we had to be careful not to get it on anything (although it did end up on her new pants. My fault for having her wear them.) She had fun mixing the colors.
 I almost like painting pumpkins more than carving them!
Here's the finished product with the cute face Cami painted on.
And we also got this take home craft from Library Storytime. I don't think I cut the mouth/teeth out right, but Cam didn't care. It's a pouch, stapled onto the paper plate. It's fun when storytime has the same theme!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fun, fun activity! I think I'm going to go through your blog and take notes on things to do---and Kate's blog too! I know I won't remember to come back and look at them in a year when Katelyn is old enough to do these things. And I completely agree with painting pumpkins. I like that so much better than carving them!

Linda said...

Now I'm wishing we would've done a pumpkin investigation at school! Next year! That's great! And I'm sure Cam loved every minute of it. The pumpkin patch pictures just make me smile- so so cute!!

Brittney said...

I love the pumpkin investigation idea! You could probably do that with several different items year round, right? Hmmmm..... Have I told you I've been bit by the homeschooling bug again? I'm certainly thinking about it. Then I really could steal all your fun ideas!