With her little legs scampering, she was giggling the whole time. I was so angry, I scooped her up and spanked her bum a few times out of frustration...right as a car drove past to witness the scene.
Here I am, standing on the sidewalk in bare feet, fleece jammie pants, a sweatshirt, and no wig, spanking my child mid-air. What a sight that must have been. And what a pitiful moment for me. I took her inside as quick as I could, and banished her to her crib to cry while I could calm down and catch my breath. (Yup, it totally winded me to get that short burst of exercise).
I hate those times. When I'm angry at my child for disobeying but then I'm more angry at myself for overreacting, or losing my temper, or feeling like a failure. That seems to happen a lot. I wish I could say I was one of those moms who never yells. I wish I could say that praying every morning for patience and an even temper worked. I wish there was a magical way to not let things bother me and not get so worked up about the stupidest stuff.
Even Cami gives me advice, bless her heart, from the Daniel the Tiger. "Mom, if you're upset, just do what Daniel the Tiger does and count to ten."
The other day, I was reading 1 Nephi 1:1 to Cami and Lexi at the dinner table. (Jake was working late). We talked about goodly parents, and I asked Cami what she thought that meant. She said "friendly, or good." I said "Yeah! Do you feel like you have good parents?" She said...."Well....no, cuz you get upset with me. You need to learn to be nicer when you're upset, Mom."
Talk about feeling low. I said "Yes I do need to not get upset as often and so easily. I will work on that. But you need to do your part too, to be a good listener, ok?" "Ok". Then a few minutes later, Lexi threw food on the floor and I cried "Lexi, come on!" And Cam said, "Ah ah ah Mom....you need to practice not getting upset, remember? Practice, practice, practice- that's what it takes." Thanks, Cam. :)
I do have my good mom moments. I do fun stuff and read books and play Barbies and color. I paint nails and do hair and sing and kiss and hug. I make healthy food and go fun places and say I love you and teach new things. I feel mighty blessed to be the mother of two sweet, beautiful little girls.
I just wish there didn't have to be so many not so proud mom moments. Sometimes when I'm fighting and arguing and getting so frustrated with my 4 year old, I think "Holy cow, how is it going to be when she's 15??" Parenting is a rather daunting task. So many unsureties and worries and regrets and responsibility! And it's only just begun.
Every night, when I go into my girls' room and tuck them in, and watch their sweet, innocent sleeping faces, I think back on the day. Sometimes, I feel like "ahhh...we had a good day". And sometimes I feel like "daaaang...I wish I could do this and that over." But the good thing is, there's always tomorrow. And there's always the opportunity to laugh.
4 comments:
Ohhhh silly Lexi!! So glad there were no cars coming! And you're a wonderful mother who spends lots of quality time with your girls every day. Did I ever tell you about the time the police brought 3 year old Brittney home...she'd ridden her Hot Wheel down the street to 7-11! We all have " not so proud " parenting stories!
You are a wonderful mother. Don't be so hard on yourself. Your children love you so much. The Lord never said it would be easy. He just said it would be worth it. Parenting is a step by step process. If we expect perfection, we are not being fair to ourselves.
Those first pictures of Lexi make me smile:)
Oh, Heath, I totally know how you feel! Every night I'm like, "I was too hard on them today!" "I need to be more affectionate and nurturing!" "Tomorrow I won't raise my voice at all!" And the next night I'm saying all the same things over again. :/ I think parenting is a process. We'll get better as time goes on, and hopefully by the time our kids are teenagers we'll have it figured out so we don't lose our cool quite so easily. :) I love you! And I'm always so impressed with all the cute things you do with Lex and Cam!
Post a Comment