Friday, March 21, 2014

We Love the Library

I realized I had so many pictures of us at the library, I thought I'd do a whole post on it! I'm so glad my girls love to read. Cami's been a bookworm since she was born. It took Lexi a little longer to appreciate books. She usually liked to rip them apart. Even still, she loves to have books in her crib when she goes to bed at night, but we have many a board book that has been ripped apart because of that. *sigh* Now, luckily, I think she's mostly past that stage, and her favorite books are I Spy books. She's so cute....she sits down with her book and challenges herself to find everything hidden in the picture. She'll point to the picture of the object on the left page, and then point to that object hidden on the next page. I love seeing her little pointer finger go back and forth, back and forth. Cami and Lexi both love reading I Spy books with their Daddy, and he has them take turns finding things. I'm so grateful for their love of learning.

That's why we attend a library storytime at least once a week! We have so many wonderful library branches near us, but the ones we visit most frequently are the South Jordan Library and the West Jordan Library. Both are big, beautiful, inviting, and have great storytimes for kids. When Cami is at Preschool on Tues/Thurs mornings, I usually take Lexi to a story time at either library. This time, they learned about frogs!
We love any kind of program put on at the library, because it's always free, and fun for kids. This was a cute puppet show of Little Red Riding Hood with a real puppeteer. But first she had some volunteers help her with a snowman song. Cami loves to volunteer.

One awesome thing we participated in this year was the KUED/PBS Kids Reading challenge. We had to track the number of minutes we read in the month of November, and if we read 600 minutes and turned it in to the library, we got invited to a Super Reader Party! The party took place in February, and it was AMAZING! It was held in the Utah State Fairpark main building, and was set up with booth after booth of games, crafts, prizes, learning, treats, and fun. We ran into our friends The Carlsons (Cami's cute friend Mary), and they posed with this cool balloon dinosaur.
KUED Kids characters were in abundance, which the girls loved. They like to watch Peg + Cat in the morning after their bath while I'm doing their hair. :)
Yay, Lexi loves Curious George! She calls him Monkey George. Her face is so dang cute in this picture.
Buddy the Dinosaur, from Dinosaur Train. Awesome costume!
The girls came home with so many fun things from that party. We'll definitely be doing the reading challenge again this year!

Here's a picture of Cami and Lex enjoying a story time together. haha. Sometimes Cami will take Lexi under her wing and hold her.
And then she'll make a friend! We love this story time- it's called A-Z Storytime, and they focus on a letter each time, and then at the end they sing the alphabet and wave that letter in the air.
It makes me happy when I see Cami making friends. :)
A little reading afterwards.
We love the crafts at the library, too. This was one for Valentines Day- a love dump truck!
When Ari spent the night at our house, I took her and Lexi to story time while Cami was at preschool. They got to sing with stuffed animals on their heads.
And sit so adorably on the rug, listening to a story. That's Miss Allison, one of our beloved Librarians. She's the one who gave Lexi the stuffed rat that she always carried away from the information desk. We named him Alphie- for alphabet and Allison.
I love the library for the story times, the crafts, the free events, the books, the movies, the music, and even the giveaways!
I've won a couple, but this was the latest. I took quizzes about the PBS shows "Downton Abbey" and "Sherlock Holmes" (mine and Jake's favorite shows) and since I got all the questions correct, I was entered into a giveaway. And I won! A lovely British bag full of Bag Ladies Tea, Flake chocolates, and a gift card to a book shop downtown. Fun!

What would we do without the library. 

1 comment:

Linda said...

Love it! You do have such fun Library stuff going on! We didn't have that when you were little, but I've always been grateful that San Jose had such a good Library system, and we loved hopping from branch to branch to get fun books. Keep up the good work- your girls are adorable little readers!