Friday, September 19, 2014

A Couple 5k's- Walkin' & Rollin'

I am not good at exercising. I cannot bring myself to get into a regular routine...to go running every week, or lift weights, or do yoga, or even play Wii sports. I have never been good at having the discipline to make myself work out. Maybe someday I will, but for now, I settle on the times I force myself to go running when I'm constipated and need to get things movin :), or when a 5k pops up and gives me the opportunity for some good family fun and exercise.

We have a tradition of doing the Woods Cross 5k every Memorial Day with Ike's family and Jake's parents. It's fun, free, and a great family event complete with breakfast in the park afterwards. It starts at 7 am, so we always have to leave our house at 6:30 after dragging the kids out of bed, but they don't mind. They enjoy it. This time, I pushed Lexi in the stroller, and Cami tried to ride Walter's bike. She doesn't like the thought of a long walk or run, but maybe her opinion will change as she gets older.

The boys ran, and the little boys rode their bikes.
Cami and Max, cute little cousins.
Morning face!

Clark walked with Mosey, and I stayed with him pretty much the whole way.
After a little while, Cami gave up on the bike so we ditched it on a street corner in the neighborhood, and she hopped in the bottom of the stroller. Free ride! Grandpa pushed the heavy load.

Woo hoo, we made it to the end!

After breakfast, we went over to Ike's house and the girls had fun in the backyard.
Then we enjoyed a picnic at Grandma's house, complete with swimming and an unfortunate bee sting between the toes for Lexi Lou. :( Owie.
Poor thing...she was exhausted and emotionally drained.
That night, we went to the Scera Shell for a concert, one of our favorite family activities!

Our next fun 5k happened a couple months later at the U of U for family health week. Jake had to work, but I got the courage to take the girls and I'm so glad I did! Cami posed with whatever this hawk's name is.
My girls!
Ready to get my game on!


Once again, I pushed Lexi in the stroller most of the way, and Cami walked and jogged alongside. She did so great! But it was super hot, and all over the hills of the U campus, so Cami got tuckered out by the end. So Lexi volunteered to take a turn walking, while Cami rode. :)
Then Lexi motivated Cam to keep going!
And we made it! Wooo hoo!
We did it in 59 minutes. Mostly just walking.
I would like to train to actually run a full 5k, and hopefully finish in 25-29 minutes. These days, when I try to run, my lungs feel like they are on FIRE. So I might have to take baby steps. But it makes me feel good when I'm up and doin something! Our Stake also had a 5k that we did earlier this summer. Look at us go! Now on to the next one!

1 comment:

Linda said...

So proud of you all! That's such a fun family activity, and great for your health! You look adorable in your cute green and black outfit! And I love that Lexi was trying to motivate Cami to keep walking. Precious!