Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Pioneer Day

I love that we live in Utah and get to celebrate Pioneer Day properly! There are so many fun things going on leading up to it. Mom and Dad got to come visit towards the end of July, after Grandma Willes went out to PA to have a fun visit with them. Mom didn't have nearly as much time with us as she usually does, or did last year with her knee surgery, but it was so fun to have her as long as we did. I love having my mom with me and love getting to spend time with her and have her stay with us. Even when she's staying at Britt's or Grandma's, I love knowing that she's at least nearby. And of course, the girls get so excited when Grandma comes to town and we get to do fun things together. But really, they'd be happy just staying at home and reading with her all day. Their favorite part of her stay is going downstairs and waking her up in the morning, and eating her stash of nuts. :)

Anyhoo, for Pioneer Day coming up, we decided to visit This is the Place Heritage Park. It was actually because we were up at the Moran Eye Center for my eye appointment, and decided on a whim to stop because Mom hadn't really ever visited the village, and I hadn't either. We got the tickets, and entered the pioneer village and explored and did different activities. Here's the cute kids village with playhouses.
We learned how the pioneers and early settlers washed clothes and took care of their houses and yards.
Go Cam!
The girls enjoyed their horsie rides.
And I love that there were bunnies bounding around outside the schoolhouse.
We sat in the classroom and participated as students. I got in trouble for writing on my slate without permission. Oopsie. Cami thought that was so funny- she still talks about it!
Mama dear! Riding the train around the village.
We stopped at the Native American area, where we made an arrowhead craft, and panned for gold in the river.
We ran out of time to do all the things that were offered, but it was a fun day and I'm glad we went! Thanks Mom. :)

Later, the week of Pioneer Day, we went to the parade float preview at the Expo Center. That's always fun. The girls got to hold the world in their hands!
Days of '47 Queen, wearing Cami's favorite color. Love Lexi's face.
Representing our ancestors!
Pioneer Lexi Lou
And finally, on actual July 24th, we went downtown to sit in the KSL TV section to watch the Days of '47 Parade. IT WAS HOT. And sunny. Good thing there were Fat Boys and cold water bottles to be had!
And cool floats and things to see!
We even saw the Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson drive by in a car, waving to us all! I wish I could've gotten a close up picture. That was the most exciting part for me. It was fun being there with Mom AND Dad, who had just come into town. Umbrellas provide excellent shade for parades!
Afterwards, we enjoyed a yummy pizza lunch at Pizza Pie Cafe- our new favorite buffet place. They have gluten free crust that I can custom order my pizza on. Yes please!
Cute Mom and Dad.
We crashed and took a nap after lunch, but Cami didn't let Grandpa sleep for long! She whipped out those books and read for him. This was right around the time she had started to surprise us all and read everything all by herself!
 Then that evening, we went to the West Jordan Park and partook in some pioneer festivities. Dad was fascinated by this "pioneer doctor", displaying the tools used for surgeries, and the process they went through. Gross. Pretty unfathomable.
 And Mom showed her hand at the hoop game, enjoyed by pioneer children! Go Mom!
 Brittney's family joined us, and Grandpa pushed everyone on the tire swing. What a guy!
 We ended the day with a Pioneer Day children's Pageant, put on by the Osmond brothers, at the West Jordan Arena. Skydivers kicked off the show, which was really cool to watch, so up close.
 In for the landing, waving the American flag!
It was a fun musical show, with impressive fireworks at the end. What a way to end the day! So thankful for those amazing people who made the journey to settle in Salt Lake and build Zion. I feel so blessed to live in this amazing place!

1 comment:

Linda said...

That was really such a fun and full Pioneer Celebration! So glad we were there to enjoy it all with you!l And to top it all off, you and I got to go to the Tabernacle Choir Pioneer Concert- icing on the cake!
This was so fun to see all the pictures and reminisce- I laughed remembering you getting in trouble at Pioneer School! =) Fun times!