So one day, Jake's parents stopped by a yard sale on a Saturday morning and spotted an old piano. They asked the guy, "How much are you selling it for?" He said, "I'm not sure. How much are you willing to give me?" To which they replied, "Uhhh how bout 25 bucks?" And the man said, "DEAL." Whaaaaa?? A perfectly functioning upright piano, with a bench and piano music inside. What an absolute STEAL! They excitedly called us and asked if we were interested in a piano. Uhhh sure? I then got excited over the fact that we'd have a piano in our house, and that my girls (and I) would learn to play! Hooray! They hauled it away on their trailer, stored it in Abe's garage till they could get it home, and then set it out on their back patio.

When we went over for the 4th of July, we got to meet the newest member of our family. It was old and scratched and stained and a little out of tune, but by golly it was a real live piano! And it was ours! Jake's dear Mom painstakingly sanded and stained and polished that piano until it shone bright and good as new. Moving day came, and we cleared a space in our living room for the new addition. We just removed the bookshelf, and pushed the couch further towards the back door.
How many men does it take to move a piano?
A lot! Nice, willing neighbors and friends.
Made it! We couldn't believe how good it looked. Emma did a fantastic job!
It got all nestled into its new spot, which is right across from the front door when you walk into our house. The living room is a bit cramped now, but I didn't think upstairs would be a good place for it- it would never get played! And downstairs would be a huge pain to get it down there. So here it lives.
Beautiful!
Alas, it feels right at home.
We got her tuned, and I started right in on teaching Cami lessons. She picked it up really quickly, and was super enthusiastic and excited about playing and learning new songs.
It helps to have an awesome aunt to come and play duets with and get some real pointers from! I wish Bree lived closer so that SHE could teach Cami and Lexi to play! I took lessons as a girl, and stopped when I was about 10 or 11? And then I never learned beyond that level. Oh how I wish I had stuck with it, and learned to play the hymns! Now that I'm in Relief Society and we're desperate for piano players. So I am determined to teach myself, and hopefully be able to play some simple hymns before long.
And this cutie likes the piano, too. After trying to teach more than one lesson, I realized she's probably still a little too young. :) But I'll let her dabble to her heart's content. It's so nice to have music in our home! What a wonderful gift...and it is truly a gift that keeps on giving.
1 comment:
I am so happy you like the piano. I am looking forward to some great recitals from all of you!
Post a Comment