Let me set the stage....it's one year after Cami broke her arm and I broke my leg. A year or so after Cami got staples in her head. One month after Lexi got 9 stitches in her forehead. Now that we've got that lovely history down, let's go to Cami's school on a lovely, sunny Thursday afternoon.
Last week, to be exact. Lexi and Luna and I were picking Cami up from school, and I had Luna on her leash. We don't do it often, but when we do, Luna gets SO excited to see the chickens in the yard by the basketball court, and loves seeing all the kids pouring out of the school. Lexi walked with us to the basketball court, and then I vaguely noted that she was no longer by my side. She had wandered over to play on the playground, which she always does. She loves climbing and sliding and is getting almost as good as Cami on the play equipment.
So I was standing in front of the doors, waiting for the bell to ring and Cami to come out, and talking to a couple of my Mom friends, when I hear Lexi. She's yelling/crying "Mommy! Mommy. Mommy" kind of weakly, and I turn and see her running towards me while HOLDING HER ARM. I was like "No. You have got to be kidding me. What happened??" She said through tears, "I fell off the monkey bars!" I knew right then by the pit in my stomach that it was not good. It was like de ja vu. When Cami fell off the monkey bars and broke her arm, she had been really pale, and had cried out in a weak, tired way. And now here I was looking at a pale little Lexi, looking weak and tired, holding her arm, and crying into my shoulder while I held her. My mom friends came over and asked if she was ok, and asked if she could move her wrist and elbow. Since she could, I thought oh good! Maybe it's just a sprain or just hurting, and it'll go away! But Lexi fell asleep in the car on the way home while holding her limp arm, which is exactly what Cami did. And when we got home, I laid Lex on the couch and put an ice pack on her arm. Pretty soon, though, she was up and jumping and laughing, saying that she could move her arm and it didn't hurt. Hooray!
WRONG. That night, the girls had tumbling class. It was stupid of me to let her do it, but she said she was fine. Until while I was waiting in the car, I saw Lex walk out the door towards me bawling and holding her arm. She said she had tried to do a handstand and it hurt so bad. Nooooooo! Well, luckily, Lex had her 5 year old well-check up the next morning, so after a lovely visit with the doc, I told him what had happened and asked him to check her arm. Since her pain was consistent in one area around her right wrist, he gave us an x-ray slip to go get it checked out at the hospital. I also asked them if they had a splint she could wear on her right wrist, and they gave her a nice new one.
Sooo we headed to get the x-rays, which he'd only written for the wrist. I worried that they wouldn't be able to see the forearm, so I had them call the doctor and get more orders to do the forearm x-rays too. We didn't find out the results for a couple of hours. I finally had to call our pediatrician office and get the results info from them, and sure enough....BROKEN ARM. A non-displaced buckle fracture of the radial and ulna bones in her little right forearm. My poor poor Lex. She....WE....just can't catch a break! Waaaahhhhh. So they had her wear the splint over the weekend, and then she got her cast on Monday morning. And guess what color she chose? Her newest favorite: Orange!
Super excited...
I love her profile!
A snapchat I sent because I was a little peeved that we were an experiment. Poor Lex.
Sure enough, JUST like the same guy had done with Cami's cast, the first one was too tight. So they had to saw it off, and Lexi was terrified of the saw. She screamed and cried! But she was a fighter, and let them put on a new orange one. And it was nice and slim and petite, and all was well in the world.
Get it, girl! :)
1 comment:
Oh my, I was cringing just reading about it, and especially doing a handstand on a broken arm....ouch!! So glad it's all better and in the past! No more broken bones!!
Post a Comment