Ahhhh literal music to my ears. I have loved The Star Spangled Banner for as long as I can remember. When I was a young little lass, I remember standing out on the balcony of our awesome Dad-built tree house in the backyard and belting out the anthem for all the neighbors to hear. I also remember officially learning the words to verses 1 AND 2 in 5th grade. Don't ask me why its necessary to know the 2nd verse. I dont know how many times I sang the song in the shower, or in my room, and why I was so fascinated with it. But I was. I started out singing it straight and choirlike, and then I jazzed it up with all the Whitney Houston trills and frills, always experimenting with notes and trying to hear out what sounded best. (I'm sure none of it sounded so great when I was younger, but my family was patient and never told me to shut up, so I kept singing).
It has been a lifelong dream of mine to sing the anthem in a large stadium. I always wrote that on my assignments at school when we had to list 10 life goals or something. It was right alongside "Name my first daughter Cambria", "Go to Germany", and "Get a horse named Kamiya". 2 outta 3 ain't bad!
Word got out that I loved that song, and I was asked to sing it at a Youth Conference when I was like 15. I'm not sure why. I think it was to kick off a talent show or something like that. I just felt special. Then as a senior in highschool, I got some vocal award that entitled me to sing the Anthem at our graduation. It was an exciting opportunity, but it ended up being kind of a let down. The band insisted on playing the song, with me singing along, but everyone knows that the anthem is to be sung a cappella! Alone. No band. So that the vocals are free to move and change and slow down as they please. But hey, at least I got to sing it outside on the football field, even if no one could hear me.
Then a year or so later, I think I was home from BYU or something, I got an opportunity to sing it at a hockey game. That was kinda fun. Although I think I slipped a little when I walked out onto the ice.
There was a lull in my anthem-singing career for a few years, until I met my wonderful man. He has connections. Jake suggested one day, "Why don't you sing for a University of Utah basketball game? I know the guy, I'll ask him if you can." And just like that, I got to sing for more people than ever before, in a real sports venue for a real live game. It was magical. I was nervous and excited, and happy when the coach shook my hand and some of the players gave me high fives after I sang. I could have considered my dream fulfilled....but I had always dreamed of singing it in an outdoor stadium, in front of even MORE people. So I kept on dreamin. And I sang it often for my elderly residents at Canyon Creek. :)
Then, just a few months ago, Jake suggested that I try out to sing for a Real Salt Lake soccer game. He works the games up in one of the control booths, and knows the people, but I didn't want anything handed to me again, and he didn't hand it. He told me to check their website to see when tryouts were, and so I marked the tryouts on my calendar. Weeks went by, and the tryout day finally arrived. But I was sick. I had an ongoing cold and sinus infection, and we were out all day and I was pooped. I decided I wouldn't go. But Jake persisted...he told me I'd regret it, and encouraged me to go and got me enthused again. So with 20 minutes left of tryouts, we rushed out the door and drove over to the stadium and signed me up at the last minute. I was the last to try out. I sang for a panel of people, felt good about it, and they said thank you and that was that. THEN the blessed email came, saying that they'd like me to sing the Anthem for the May 8th game, which was going to be a tribute to mothers. I was so excited!! So on Saturday, I rushed over to the stadium from our primary activity for a soundcheck. They gave me a $70 women's soccer jersey to wear while I sang (and to keep), and 4 front row tickets to the game. The sound check went great, although it was super echo-ey cuz of the big empty outdoor stadium. Then the time came for me to sing the real thing. Family had arrived to listen, which I was so thankful for, and I was down on the field before the game, awaiting my cue. The players all ran out of the tunnel (they are the national soccer league champions, by the way!), cheering and festive drum playing could be heard, a soldier mom who is being deployed walked out to be honored, and then it was my turn. I walked out about 1/4 of the way out, turned to the stands, and with all eyes on me, I sang those first few words. "Ohhhh say can you see!"
The only problem was, the dang microphone didn't come on!! I flipped the mute button on the bottom, started singing again, but no luck. Turned the on/off button, sang again....nothin. At this point, I was thinking what the crap am I supposed to do??! What a nightmare. The girl in charge ran over to me and started panicky yelling into her headset, pushed the mic buttons again, and finally decided it was ready to go. Once again, "Ohhh say can you see!" This time it came on, and I proceeded with the rest of the song. It went just fine, and I enjoyed my minute of fame after the technical difficulty embarassment. :) I liked how they announced my name at the beginning and said I was the mother of a 1 year old daughter, and then when I finished the announcer once again bellowed "Heather Yospe!!" It was a good feeling. 



Leo the lion, chattin it up with a die hard fan next to us.
SO alas, this past Saturday on the 8th, I fully fulfilled my lifelong dream. The game got even better after that, cuz I had also signed up to be one of 50 moms who ran across the field at halftime to grab a card and redeem it for a prize. I felt good, I ran across the field barefoot in front of the huge crowd with my family cheering on, and I went back to my seat with a huge purple leather scrapbooking tote full of crafting goodies. It was a good day.
Even though the dream is fulfilled, that doesn't mean I'm done with it! My next goal is to sing it at a Bee's baseball game, since I've always wanted to hear "Play ball!" when I'm finished. And the ultimate goal would be to sing it at a Jazz game. Oh don't you worry, I tried out a couple years ago and was not chosen, but maybe I'll try again one day and they'll come around. :) Wherever I sing it, it'll be a good time.
3 comments:
Yay Heather!! So fun to read the whole National Anthem History in your life. But I thought you already sang at a Bee's game! Are you sure you didn't?? I love listening to you singing on Facebook....couldn't you add that link to your blog for history sake?? Love you!
I saw the clip that Jake posted on facebook of you singing. You were great!!! You are so brave. I wish I could do that...both sing that well and be brave enough to it in front of people. I bet you'll be singing at a Jazz game in no time at all.
My mom told me that you were going to do that, I asked when and she said she didn't know. I wish we would have known when, i would have loved to take my family to see you! YEAH! Craig once threw the first pitch at a bees game, that was very exciting! Let us know if you make it to a bees game, we will be there!
Post a Comment