The downside came at about 3:15 pm. Jake was holding Cami on his shoulders in the hallway, and she was playing with a blow-up fish. Apparently she dropped the fish and bent over to get it, and completely fell off Jake's shoulders, hitting a door handle on the way down. It happened SO fast. I was standing right next to him, along with 2 of his cousins, but none of us realized what happened, and all we saw was a little crumpled body on the floor. Jake scooped her up and she started crying, and I just saw that her lip was bleeding. I went into the kitchen, still unsure of how bad it was, and said "We have an injury." I started dabbing at her lip and Jake was cradling her and trying to comfort her, but she wasn't crying as hard as she normally would when she gets real hurt. She was just crying slowly and weakly, and then her eyes started to shut, like she was super tired. Granted, she had missed both her naps, but she does not fall asleep in the middle of action. So I started to panic and said, "Something's not right, something's not right!"
She couldn't keep her eyes open. Her lips were getting pale. Jake's cousin, Brooke suggested that we might want to take her to Instacare to get her checked for a concussion. We rushed out the door and strapped her in and I sat with her in the back seat while Jake drove like crazy to the nearest Instacare in Taylorsville. I'm glad he knew where he was going. But I was not very comforted at the time because she would NOT stay awake. I tried tickling her feet, playing with toys, rolling down windows, singing to her...but her little eyes kept shutting. That's the only thing I know about concussions: that you need to keep the victim awake. Finally when we got there and I walked in holding her, she threw up in my arms. They took us back and knew that this was beyond them, and told us we needed to get her to the ER. I asked "Ok, where's the nearest one?" She said "Oh, you'll need to go to Primary Childrens Hospital downtown. They are the only ones who are equipped to treat small children." She said it wasn't such a big deal that she wanted to sleep, but the vomiting was the worrisome part. She offered to have an ambulence take us there if we felt that we couldn't drive, but we got in the car and headed downtown.
It was about a 20 minute drive, and I couldn't keep her awake again in the car until she threw up all over herself and her seat. Poor thing. By the way, Jake and I were praying fervently in the car, and I called our parents to let them know what was going on. Jake's dad said they would be right over to meet us there. Once we got into the ER and registered, me with this little pink princess wrapped in a blanket and listless in my arms, Jake gave her a priesthood blessing in the corner of the waiting room. Then they took us back to a room. Jake's parents got there at the same time, so it was a great comfort to not be alone in that room for the 4 hours that we were. They hooked her up to an IV (twice, because the first one ripped out right after they took some blood), felt her head for bumps and found one on the right side, and checked her eyes and everything. The nurse said it was up to us whether we wanted her head scanned, and we wanted to make sure everything was ok of course, so she had a CT scan. Luckily, she was asleep for the whole thing, and they wrapped her up in blankets and strapped her to a little table, and then it moved through the big ring. We didn't find out the results for quite a while, so it was a big waiting game. She threw up a few more times, and then she had nothing left in her little body. She was exhausted, and just kind of slept in our arms, wrapped in the hospital blanket. She liked cuddling with Daddy. She started to become more aware of things and liked looking at the kiddie pictures on the wall, and holding the remote.
At about 7:30 pm, the CTscan results came back. Diagnosis: Mild traumatic brain injury and R parietal skull fracture.The nurses brought the images up on the screen, and were trying to find a good shot of the fracture that was found. Here's the best one: It's a view of the back of her head, and that squiggly line going down diagonally is normal. But then there's a little straight hair line about an inch long going down from that in the middle off to the right, into the white area. That's the fracture. Pretty crazy, huh?
The good news was that her brain looked fine, and there wasn't any bleeding or swelling in the pictures, which meant NO long term effects. YAY. After we found out it was a fracture, they told us she would need to stay overnight to receive fluids and be monitored to make sure she'd be ok. Jake's parents left, after many hours of keeping us company and comforted. As Jake walked out with them, I rocked little Cam in my arms and sang lullabies, and was so happy when she looked up and pointed to my nose and smiled. Then she said baba and dada. She was coming back!
They put a neck brace on her so that they could take some neck x-rays, just to be safe. She didn't like it one bit and kept trying to undo the velcro. Notice her poor wounded hands.

Jake made a cafeteria run at 10:50 and got soup and rolls, but my stomach was weak and my nerves were still high so I couldn't eat much. Jake and I both decided to stay for the night, since either of us would have been lonely by ourselves. So we cuddled on the little cot in our jeans and tried to get some sleep. My mind wouldn't let me sleep much though, and we both perked up every time we heard Cami rustle around in the crib. So it was a long night.
Little sweetheart.
She got off and on sleep, but they came in every few hours to take her vitals, and at 2 am she was wide awake, standing in her crib and pointing to the sippy cup. So we fed her graham crackers and apple juice. She never threw up again, so that meant we could go home today! She was back to being herself, except for being fussy when the Tylenol would wear off probably from a severe headache (I can't even imagine). And it was sad but kind of funny- every time a nurse would come near her with any object, she'd start bawling because she thought they would all hurt her. But she wanted to walk all around our room and the halls, play with everything and could talk and eat again, so we got to go home today at noon.
They gave her a cute little sundress and a fleece blankie to wear home, since she didn't have more clothes, and now we're glad to be home and doing well. They just told us to watch her carefully over the next 4-5 weeks and make sure she doesn't have any falls. It takes that long for her skull to heal itself. I wish they had sent us home with a mini helmet! We are SO grateful that Cami is ok and back to her little self, and for all the wonderful people at Primary Childrens who helped us. What a blessing to live so close to this hospital of expertise for children when we needed it most. I'm so grateful to Heavenly Father for hearing our prayers, and the prayers of so many others, and helping us get through this. Jake and I were so scared at first, but we know that whatever happens is up to Him and that He has a plan. I'm so thankful that Jake holds the Priesthood and was able to give her a blessing, and that we were comforted by the spirit. What would we do without the Gospel? It's crazy, cuz I was just saying this week how I'd never really had any huge adversity in my life and how that is kind of scary cuz I didn't know what the Lord had in store for me. And then this came along. Granted, it is a small trial compared to some, but I think it was the scariest time of my life, and I'm glad we got through it and are a little stronger because of it. And hopefully Cami will not remember this incident, but will someday read this and realize how blessed she was, and how much we love her! We're so glad to be home, but now we wish she didn't like to toddle around so much and that our whole house was padded.
11 comments:
Oh my word Heather, how scary! Wow, I can't even imagine! I'm so glad that Jake is a worthy priesthood holder and that she could get a blessing, and yes I agree, you are very blessed to live near Primary Children's Hospital. Wow, I can't imagine having to watch my child go through all that, I know I would have been a basket case! Hang in there, keep us updated, and we'll keep your beautiful family in our prayers! Love you!
Poor, poor baby and parents! I'm so glad that everything is getting better. She's still in our prayers. Call if you need anything!
I read on face book that she was in the hospital, so our family has been praying for her. i am glad she is home. I am glad that she will be alright. Poor thing, Kendell hates the hospital. She has been there enough, I have to agree it is kind of funny when they cry everytime the nurse walks in. . . sad, but funny. Kendell fell off our bed and got a concusion. she threw up and threw up again, more than I have ever seen anyone throw up. I was scared to death. I tried to keep her awake the whole way to the hospital too, only to find out when I got there that they say it is an old wives' tale. It is ok to fall asleep, it won't cause any further damage. not being able to wake them up is a bad sign, but falling asleep is ok. I think old wives' tales were created to stress out poor mothers. Anyhow, I am so glad she is doing ok. is there anything you need? let us know. I too am very thankful for the gospel and the priesthood. I don't know where I would be without it and am sure that Kendell would be in really poor shape if she hadn't had the blessing she has had.
Wow! What a scary 24 hours! I'm so glad Cami's doing well now and should recover completely from her fall. I've certainly been grateful for Primary Children's Hospital - if it weren't for them Carter would be blind. Good luck with recovery and keeping Cami out of trouble!
Reading that brings tears to my eyes again! I'm so glad she's okay. :)
oh my gosh Heather. I can't even imagine. The story brought tears to my eyes. You are all such troopers, especially little Cami. I love ya!
Here I am crying all over again....but feeling so grateful for blessings, faith and prayers! Poor little dolly! I imagine you're going to be following her around hoping she lands on her bum as she's walking! She's blessed to have you two, and we are too! Love you all!
I am so glad she is okay, what a scary story!
Evelyn told me what happened. That is so scary!!! I'm so glad she's okay. Your post made me cry...I hate it when kids get hurt...they are so helpless and innocent. Let me know if you need anything!
That is so scary! I thought I was going to start crying when I read what happened. I don't know how you kept it together! I'm glad she is doing better. Keep us updated!
Hey Heather and Jake! Heather you probably don't know me, but I went to the singles ward with Jake. Lance and I must have gotten married before you got there because I don't remember you....maybe not though...anyhow I found your blog and just read this crazy story. I am so glad to hear everything is going to be okay. I can only imagine the many emotions you must have felt in those 24 hours. What a blessing to have the priesthood and to live so close to primary childrens. I hope Cami is doing well. I agree with wishing your whole house was padded. Our little boy is just a few days older than Cami is and I wish the same thing. You can check out our blog at http://lanceandlisa.blogspot.com. I am adding you to my blog list, I hope you don't mind! :)
Post a Comment