I wanted to share one of my recent favorite weeknight meals. I found this in a family fun magazine last year, and have made it several times now cuz I love it so much! I turned into a huge spinach fan somehow over the last few years, and I just love biting into something spinach filled. So if you're the same, you'll love this. If you're not, give it a try, I DARE you. :)I just made it this week, and added a can of mushrooms and some parmesan cheese, and I had to use colby jack cheese instead of mozarella, but it still tasted great. You can also cut calories if you leave out the pie crust, but that is a mighty tasty part. My favorite part of this meal is eating the leftovers for lunch the next day! I so look forward to it.
Cheese & Spinach Tart
Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
2 cups diced onion
1 9-inch frozen deep dish pie shell
1 cup milk
3 eggs
1 cup shredded mozarella cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. salt and pepper, each
1 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed
Optional: 1 can mushrooms, parmesan cheese
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Heat oil in skillet. Add onions and saute on med. high for 10 min, until carmelized (brown and sweet). Remove, let cool.
2. Prick pie shell with fork, bake 10 min. Meanwhile, whisk eggs, milk, cheese, garlic powder, worcestishire sauce, salt and pepper. Add onions and spinach.
3. Pour into cooled pie shell and bake for 45 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
It pairs great with glazed cooked carrots, which is one of the only ways I've found I like cooked carrots. Just add a bag of frozen sliced carrots to a skillet (or fresh), add 1/4 cup water, 1/8 tsp salt and pepper, and a couple tablespoons of butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, then let simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes until carrots are tender and glazed. Mmmm. Try it, or try both!
2 comments:
I don't know about a cheese and spinach tart. Seems like tart and spinach shouldn't appear in the same sentence. Buuuuut... I admire your creative cooking skills and willingness to try new things! Mom would be proud.
Yes, I am proud! Love to see my girls cultivating their homemaking skills! And I like that pretty Pfatzgraff plate it's on too! =)
Post a Comment