Monday, November 19, 2012

First Things First- Health Update & Flashback

Well, I'm baaaaaack. Back from PA in all my tubeless glory. :) I'll tell you how my trip went, and then I'll save the story of the horrible plane ride home for the next post. For now, take a gander at how my hand has been for almost half the day today.
Haha it looks so creepy. Makes me chuckle every time I look at it. My hand has been cramping up all day, which makes things tricky. My feet have also been cramping up, and last night in bed I had to flex my foot forever to try to get the stupid muscles to relax. But alas, there are worse things, and I am doin' pretty well.

I wish I had some miraculous, eye-opening, mind-boggling diagnosis to reveal. But I do not. We didn't really find out anything else while I was at Hopkins. In my doctor's review of the biopsy results and findings from the endoscopy I got last week, there are words like "nondiagnostic findings", irritable bowel disease, celiac sprue, esophagitis, reflux, outlet dysfunction, gastric emptying delay, gluten intolerance, and "Ms. Yospe has a complicated GI picture".

It's ok- I wasn't expecting something definite to suddenly show its face. I was just hoping I'd have something more to tell. On the plus side- we had a lovely visit- me and my girls- with Grandma and Grandpa Toone. We flew in on Wednesday night, and I didn't have to be at Hopkins until Tuesday. Monday was my clear liquid diet and MoviPrep day, to clean out my system for the endoscopy. Clear liquid diet days are just no fun anymore...I can NOT get excited over jello and chicken broth anymore, as hard as I try. And I was rather disappointed that the MoviPrep didn't do a proper job. You're supposed to mix a powder pouch with 32 oz water and drink it over 1 hour. It's a yucky lemon like flavored drink.

 The first dose hit me and did its job. But I had to wake up at 4:30 am to drink the second dose- 32 more oz in one hour, and when I finished? Nothin. It had no affect on me. So I went back to bed for an hour or so before I had to get up and go. Most people would be at that nice "lemonade" stage by now, but like we all know by now, my body doesn't work right. So I was barely cleaned out by the time of the procedure, but luckily they were still able to do everything they needed to.

Dad took me to my appointment, and it was nice to have him there. I always kind of look forward to endoscopies, because remember how I love being put to sleep? Ahhh. So I got my IV, met the doctor and the anesthesiologist, made sure they were on board to take the feeding tube out, waited an extra hour till they were ready for me, and then they finally wheeled me into the procedure room. They were all super nice, and asking me about my favorite book, and then everything got hazy and I was OUT. Next thing I knew, I was in the recovery room with nurses trying to wake me out of my deep lovely slumber. They had done a retrograde endoscopy (in through the bottom end) and an endoscopic ultrasound (in through the top).

I remember reaching up to touch my cheek, and feeling such a relief to feel my skin, and not a piece of tape. I had that thing in for 5 whole months. From June to November- that's a looong time! In a way, it became a part of me. I became used to it. I didn't feel the tube in my throat for most of those 5 months. I forgot I had it until I'd be reminded when I'd go out in public, and people would do double takes and stare at me. Kids (and some adults) would ask "What's that?" "Why do you have that?" And most of the time I'd be happy to explain, but sometimes I just wanted to disappear and for them to leave me alone. It was also hard to have to shield my face from Lexi, because she'd try to grab it, or the tube would get caught on stuff. Not cool.

I think it also became kind of a crutch for me. With a feeding tube in, you can get away with more. You are clearly sick, which means that people will open doors, help you, give you extra sympathy, push you around in a wheelchair through the airport with no questions asked. I know, I'm bad, huh? And sometimes now I forget that I don't have it anymore, and it's like I'm missing the special treatment. This time in the airport, I had no excuse for anyone to treat me any differently (besides the fact that I'm a mother by herself with 2 kids and juggling tons of luggage), because I appear fairly normal and healthy. I think. Although I'm not sure my hair is convincing enough yet. And I have fairly puffy cheeks from taking steroid medication for the bloating. Now, if people look at me funny, I know it's just because I'm weird looking.
See? Check out this awesome bedhead. I think this was the morning where Cami looked at me and said "Mom you look funny. You look like a clown to me right now." It just made me laugh though. Love me some Cam Cam.

Two days after the procedure, I met with the blood doctor out there and got a bunch of blood work done. I'd gone off Coumadin a month or 2 before that, but since my levels were high again, she's waiting for the test results to see if I need to go back on Coumadin. The last thing I want is another blood clot in my lungs. I also met with Dr. Stein to go over the endoscopy results (Dr. Khashab did the procedure) and she said he was not impressed with anything he saw, meaning nothing stood out to him. My pancreas looked normal. They just saw all the usual stuff they've seen before, but she said the villi in the intestine are growing back, so the gluten free diet is working.

Basically, I'm on the right track. I've gained weight, and hopefully I can keep it on. My hair is slowly growing back. I'm not as bloated. I have more energy. So she said to continue what I'm doing, to stay gluten free forever, but that I can start adding foods in to my diet. Like the fruits and veggies I've been avoiding, and eggs, and soy, and hopefully eventually dairy. That would be blissful! She also said to start exercising- swimming or yoga or something. Definitely need to find a way to make that a part of my life. I've never been an exerciser, but it's time to change.

It's hard to think that exactly a year ago, I was in the hospital 5 days after esophagus surgery with a hole in my esophagus, in very bad shape. Thanksgiving night, after staying home and eating turkey baby food on my liquid diet, is when I realized something was very wrong and I got sick, and Jake rushed me to the ER. I spent the night in surgery, and the next 2 days in ICU. I fought for my life, and my family had to remind me to be strong and stay with them.
Oh how grateful I am for the love and support of family, my sweet husband and girls, friends, church members and people who hardly know me, who have prayed and fasted and thought of me in this difficult past year. Thank you so much, to all of you. I love you! I'm also grateful for how far I've come, the progress I've made, and the miracles and blessings I've experienced along the way.
I know the difficult road is not over. I've still got a ways to go. Sometimes I wonder how much more I'll have to endure. I think it's taking a toll on my sanity. And patience. And temper. And marriage. And family. I'm sick of being sick. And I don't know if it's the medication or what, but sometimes I feel so emotionally unstable. It's like there's inner turmoil, and I don't know what to do about it. I need to find inner peace and work this crap out, cuz it's like Satan is trying to bring me down when he knows I'm at my lowest. Not gonna happen, buddy. Allow me to be more dedicated in reading my scriptures, saying more sincere prayers, visiting the temple more often, and relying on my Savior to strengthen and lift me up. Because He will. And maybe I should throw some yoga in there and I'll be set. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are one flippin, amazing and inspirational woman you know? It takes a special someone to keep such a great attitude through all that you have been through. I am glad that you will be able to enjoy your Thanksgiving this year, and pray for more answers to come your way.
Remember, if you need anything I am just a few houses away.

Adam and Jessica said...

You are amazing and I just love you! Your allowed to feel no bueno sometimes and have rough days! We all do, but I would say you are definitely allowed with all you and your sweet family have had to endure this past year. You have always been a special daughter of our Heavenly Father and Satan knows it too! You know all the right things to do and just trust in the Savior and send it all up to him to help you carry and lighten your load! He will! Love you lots and wished I lived closer! Thanks for the updates! We will continue to keep you in our prayers!

Midvale Teen Talk said...

Wow Schmeether. Still so much going on in your life. Part of this post made me laugh, and other parts broke my heart. And what's with your crazy cramped hand??! That is scary. And makes me sad. But here you are, still finding humor in the situation and fighting like a champ. That's all you CAN do, right?! And don't let Satan get any advantage over you. No way. Fight him just as hard as anything else. I love you. And I support Yoga! Maybe you can just start out by doing the Wii again. Get those hips moving. :) And Cam will enjoy it too! Keep up the good work. Love you so much!

Unknown said...

Uhhh... I must have been signed into my work account when I made the comment above. I'm sure you figured out it was me! :)

Unknown said...

Holy-make-me-cry, Heather! :) I saw the picture of you and the family in the hospital last year and just lost it. lol What a hard, hard thing you've been going through--- or really many hard, hard things. We pray for you every night, as I know so many people do, but we'll pray for your sanity especially on top of your health stuff. That makes me so mad at Satan! That's silly to hear myself say, but honestly.... we're going to start praying that you will have angels to stand around you and fend him off. :) I'm sure you must already, but maybe Heavenly Father can send a few more your way. We love you lots!

Brittney said...

Oh, your poor hand! Is it as painful as it looks? I'm sorry you're still having to deal with so much, but I'm constantly amazed at how you're still able to keep a smile on your face and do so many great things with Cam and the people around you. I'm SO glad you're doing as well as you are compared to this time last year! That was a scary, scary time. But prayers were certainly answered and will continue to be answered, I'm sure. You're loved by so many! Can't wait to celebrate life and blessings with you in a couple days with our lovely, partly gluten-free feast! Hope it's wonderful!

Linda said...

We all have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving! And especially your much improved health! The picture of you in ICU is deceiving because they'd pumped you so full of fluids, you almost looked like your old self instead of a girl starving to death! The next week you had little stick legs and arms! =) But now you're looking so much healthier! And hopefully as you're able to start weaning off medications, the hormones will balance out and you'll feel more like yourself. Love you so much- it was great to have you here, and hopefully you'll get over the bad trip home!