
Jake started out his talk when we spoke in church the other week with an entertaining story of how we went skiing the previous day. He'd gone once before and had a bad experience (cuz he wasn't with me of course) and his boots killed his feet, he had a couple bad spills, etc. So he was not excited to go, was dreading the date that we had set, and was hoping I would forget that I had written it in my planner. :) But alas, we rented our equipment at Ski n See in Salt Lake (great place, by the way), got up nice and early on Saturday and used Ike's free passes at the Canyons in Park City. You have to take a gondola thing from the parking lot up to the resort, and then get on another gondola up to the ski lifts on the mountain. We were like geezo, this place is crazy, where are we going and when can we actually ski?? But it was a nice day, and the mountains are beautiful, and we saw a couple moose down below us eating. When we finally got to the lift, we headed straight for the bunny slope and nervously got on. Luckily, neither of us fell when we got off the lift and that tricky little slope they put in there to make people feel retarded when they stumble off. We snow-plowed and inched our way down the slope, and eventually learned how to ski again and got the hang of it. I was used to snowboarding so I was trying to use my toes to steer, but as I eavesdropped on a couple ski instructors, I learned that it's all in the knees and that's how you steer and carve or weave or whatever you call it. Once we went down the slope about 6 times, we decided to tackle the next lift. The guy we rode up with was pretty advanced, and after he found out it was only our 2nd time or so skiing, he said oh wow, you're pretty brave to go on this lift! That didn't help our confidence. But when we FINALLY got to the top, we were in the clouds and it was snowing, and there was only one way to get down there, and that was to SKI. Jake thought about sliding down on his bum, but he didn't tell me that. He acted brave and did a great job and impressed me, just like he did with water skiing too. He's got skills. So all in all, we had a great time and neither of us EVER fell, except for me when I was trying to back up to take jake's picture and I forgot about my long awkward skiis and kind of got tangled. oopsee.
This first picture is pretty much how Jake was at the very beginning with his ski's. :) But then once we got on the lift and went down the bunny slope a couple times, he'd gotten the hang of it and was better than me. Dang him! He does look mighty cute with that beanie on, which he actually called a stocking cap. I said please don't ever call it that again. That's worse than him saying "We're going to miss your TV program" or "tending the kids". My little 60 yr old husband. :) I do love him dearly and we have a fun time together.



1 comment:
I didn't even know you'd started a blog! Just noticed your names on Brittney's. So fun! I love reading them, so keep writing and posting pictures. Looks like you had a fun day on the slopes! =) Love ya!
Post a Comment