Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Down on the Farm

Jake and I had a fun little adventure last Thursday when we set off in our Honda Accord for Grace, Idaho. Home of the Toone Dairy Farm! My dad grew up on this farm near Soda Springs/Pocatello, and I love going there any chance I get. Many a childhood summer was spent romping around on the farm in rubber boots with my cousins and the farm kittens and all the hundreds of cows. Jake had only been there once, last July before we were even engaged, so it was high time to go again. We had a nice little 3 hour drive through Logan, stopping for flowers to put on my grandma and grandpa's grave in Grace for Memorial Day. We got to my Aunt April and Uncle Fred's around 9:30, and had a nice visit before we went to bed in my cousin Ben's room. We awoke to some yummy waffles, and then Jake got to take a spin on my cousin Eric's dirt bike, pictured below with Evil Canevil himself. He enjoyed that. The picture above is of us when we went to the farm which is where my other aunt and uncle live, and got to sit in the new Challenger tractor priced at ohh about 200,000 altogether. It's a pretty sweet ride, with a stereo and nice cushiony seat for those long days in the field.
It doesn't matter how many times I've been on the farm, I never get tired of the tours. :) My cousin Diane took us around in our rubber boots (good thing, cuz there were a couple inches of nasty mushy manure swimming around from the rain) and showed us all around. We got to milk a cow by hand, which is always fun, but they have machines that do it for 8 hours twice a day. Those little suction tubes suck onto the teats and squeeze all the milk out....pretty handy!
This is my cousin Steven who just got back from his mission and is now workin on the farm again for the summer. He's a stud. His little brother Michael invented this little cart thing to haul calves from pen to stall or whatever with the four wheeler. They have about 100 calves right now, which they milk by hand with big old bottles. That used to be my favorite part of visiting...mixing the fresh milk with a powder that smelled (and tasted) like yellow cake mix. The babies are separated from their mamas pretty much right after they're born, and then raised up on the farm to hopefully produce lots of milk and give birth to some more good healthy cows.
One of the main reasons we went up to the farm was because my cousin Diane is my hero and bought my residents a Nintendo Wii in Montana and brought it when she went home to Grace to visit. I guess people have better things to do in Montana than play video games, cuz there were plenty o Wii's in the stores, and there's no sales tax! Brilliant! So we set it up at their house and played a few good games of bowling, tennis, boxing, golf and baseball. Here Jake is boxing with the lil nunchuck and doin pretty well at it! I'm excited to see my residents at work try the games...it'll be quite humorous. :) So yeah, great time at the farm! Drink milk...does a body good.

5 comments:

Jana Banana said...

I should have had you bring a Wii home for us too :) Glad you had a fun little get away!

granny yospe said...

Why do you have to do this word verification thing? Trip sounds stink-ily fun. I want to play Wii. I don't get how it works.

The Davis Family said...

Wow! I'm impressed you remembered so much from my little tour - I'm very impressed. Let me know what your residents think about the Wii - I hope they like it. Thanks again for coming up to Grace for a visit!

Sommer said...

How fun, yay for the farm! Take lots of pictures of your residents playing the Wii, I'm excited to see how they like it.

Brittney said...

Good ol' Toone Dairy Farm! Yes, it never gets old. We need to take Bryan up there again now that the weather's nice! I'm glad you guys had fun!