Sunday, March 1, 2009

Up Close & Personal With the Jazz

This past week was pretty cool...we got set up with a tour to the UT Jazz practice facility in Salt Lake. So I took about 12 of my residents from Canyon Creek, and one of the Jazz scouting representative guys showed us around the whole place. It's a huge new building and it's really nice. In the gym we got to shoot some hoops and take pics with all the balls, haha. And then we got to go into the locker room, woo hoo! That was way fun to see all the player's names, along with their shoe collections, jerseys, practice clothes, huge whey protein tubs (Korver) and be able to sit in their chairs and feel special for a moment. I went for Williams and Boozer's little nooks...


And while we were in there, sippin on water and powerade from the players' fridge, the scout guy announced that a special guest had just arrived. I thought maybe one of the players had come (even though the team was out of town for a game in Minnesota), but lo and behold, it was former coach, Frank Layden! I didn't know who that was until someone explained he was the coach before Sloan. Ohhhhh that's pretty cool. He was way friendly and jovial, kinda like Santa. Took pictures with everyone, and walked around the rest of the place with us, to the theater, coaching playboard room, offices, etc. It was pretty cool!
These were the biggest shoes of all the players. They belong to 7 foot 1 Fisenko, who wears size 18! Yow! I have big feet for a girl, so this comparison doesn't do quite as much justice. :)
So my residents really enjoyed themselves, and so did I! We learned that each Jazz player gets $110 to spend on food PER DAY when they're on the road, even after they get pampered and fed appetizers and lunch on the plane. And Boozer makes 12 million a year on top of that! Spoiled NBA players, I tell ya.

2 comments:

Sommer said...

I swear you guys do the coolest stuff with your residents! And man they really are spoiled!

Linda said...

Well Heather, thanks for the little tour- that was so fun! And I bet lots of guys will be very jealous of your group. Keep up the good work!

14 days and counting- exciting!! =)