Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Fun Weekend With Ari

This past weekend, we had the pleasure of having my niece, Ari, stay with us while Britt and David went to Las Vegas. Her brothers stayed at home with David's brother, and Ari came to us bright and shiny on Thursday morning. Cami could not have been more excited. Up until then, they had played together every other week or so, interacting somewhat but still usually in that "play side by side but not together" phase. But they grew so much closer over these few days, it was so fun to watch! On Thursday morning, seeing Ari in her little blue lemon romper, I couldn't resist changing Cam into her matching blue romper that came as a set from Grandma. What a cute little pair! After enjoying a good book together, Ari's favorite animal book that Ari later tore apart, they ran into Cam's room and immediately starting playing with toys, pulling books off the shelf, and getting into good clean 1 year old mischief.
Cami felt so trapped, standing there in that Bumbo chair believing that she couldn't get out, that she started to cry. haha. Kids. :) (Sometimes you can't help but laugh before you actually help them). Ari loved playing with the busy ball popper.
These girls can't get together without doing Ring Around the Rosie. They're both good at sitting down at the end, but Cami whines every time because that part distresses her. Who knows.
I decided to be brave and venture out with the girls to go to the library. I had the Hunger Games book waiting for me, which I was anxious to read, and I knew the girls would have fun. We drove there and got out, and I held Cami's hand and she held Ari's hand as we walked into the library together. It was precious. People stopped us and asked, twins? Nope, just cousins! They looked at the fish tank, drank from the water fountain, ran around the kiddie area, and had a good ol time. They even shared a box of raisins in the car.
Back at the ranch, I set up the pack n play for Ari to sleep in, in Cami's room. Naptime came...and I just kept hearing laughing and talking and babbling coming from behind the door. After awhile, I realized this arrangement probably wouldn't work out. So I took down the pack n play and reassembled it down in the basement bedroom. So far away, I know! I put the moniter down there so that I'd be able to hear Ari, put her down for her nap, and both girls immediately zonked out. Brilliant! Every time I'd go down to get Ari after she woke up, I would find her laying perfectly still, wide eyed and sucking on her paci. Such a cutie pie. She'd want to be wrapped up in her blankie, and I'd bring her upstairs and delight Cam with her presence.
On Friday, I don't think we went anywhere. I think it was just a day of playing at home, although it's all blending together in my mind. They were just a couple of goofballs together.

I love that picture. Making sideways glances at each other during meal time. They have identical booster seats and had fun eating side by side. It was kind of nice, too, cuz when Ari would drink her milk, then Cam would want to drink her milk (which she never does). Or when Ari would eat pinto beans, then Cam would want some too. Cam doesn't have siblings to follow like Ari does, so she was delighted to have someone to follow. :) (Although hopefully she won't always be so easily influenced.)
After dinner, we did a Skype call with my mom, and they were excited to see Grandma on screen! They sang some songs, babbled a bit, and got a little restless from being in their chairs, but it was fun. Note Ari's crossed ankles...I love how she sits that way every time she eats.
And the next morning, ta da! Fresh berries and oatmeal...mmmmm. Jake was sweet enough to make big batches of oatmeal for everyone in the mornings, and the girls loved it!
Who can resist these adorable faces? This will become a classic cousin picture in years to come.
I took the girls to Walmart later that day while Jake was finishing up basement baseboards, and pushed them in Brittney's double stroller. At least 4 people stopped me and commented on how cool the stroller was, how I liked it, blah blah. It is pretty nifty, with a normal seat and then a lower seat below it and 3 wheels. I felt pretty cool. Then we went home and met Jake, and drove downtown to a Chinese restaurant called Shanghai Cafe, I think? Something like that. Jake really wanted me to try the Egg roll noodle salad, which he'd had a few times before and knew I would like since I LOVE ramen. It was indeed mighty good! The restaurant wasn't very prepared for kids, but the girls enjoyed their high chairs and food I had brought for them, and fortune cookies for dessert.
That night, Jake worked high school games at the U, and the girls decided to rebel and be totally exhausting! I gave them another bath (they'd been great on Thursday) but this time they kept standing up, pulling the plug, drinking water, running from diapers and jammies, WHEW. I was totally pooped by the time they went to bed, and I have no idea how parents of twins do it. But we had tons of fun, and Ari's parents came to get her on Sunday before we all headed up to Garland, UT for a mission homecoming/family reunion. Ari was happy to see her mom and dad, but was so good while they were gone- she'd never really cried, or gotten homesick, and her and Cami played so well together. Now, a week later, Cami still looks at the basement door and says "Ah deeee!" like she's expecting her to emerge from naptime. This video shows what a spaz Cami is, compared to a much calmer book reading Ari. Cam just kept cracking up and was so giddy that Ari was there. What a cute pair.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Everyone of these pictures just warmed my heart! Such sweet little dollies! I sure miss them!

Brittney said...

So sweet! That's so fun that they got to play just the two of them for so long. It's always so crazy when the boys and everyone else are around... I love the high chair pic and the one in the rocking chair!! Can you send them to me, please? Thanks again for keeping her for us? We're excited for you to come hang out in a couple days!

Sommer said...

They totally look like they could be twins, no wonder people were stopping you. They are so cute together!