Saturday, January 22, 2011

Simple Pleasures

Time for another list of the simple pleasures in my life lately.

~Baking: I have to be in the right mood, and then I just get an urge to bake. I made my mom's pumpkin apple streusel muffins last week, and they made my whole month of January! so. good. Yesterday I made some chocolate cake mix cookies with bits of reeses and hershey's cookies n' cream, I know- SO bad for you, but such a quick yummy treat and i popped most in the freezer for later cravings. :)

~A new haircut- I got it cut today, thanks to Britt who bought me a haircut for my birthday from an auction website for a good cause. I went to Images Salon in Pleasant Grove, and it was awesome. Amy, whose parents own the place, cut my hair and was the cutest girl. And she did a fabulous job! I couldn't believe I was in and out in 45 minutes, with a shampoo and styling, about 5 inches off, layers and bangs. :) MUCH better than my 2 hour trim exerience at the cheap hair academy by my house. There's just something about a good haircut that makes you feel new and fresh.

~Going to bed a little cold, and cozying up to the covers. I love winters for the fact that going to bed is such a delightful thing, because it's so warm and cozy. I love that Jake is always warm (much like Jacob Black!) and he makes it nice and toasty under the covers. I do always wear socks to bed, otherwise my toes freeze.

~Homemade pizza. I got this Family Circle magazine back in October that had a homemade pepperoni pizza on the cover, and I just could NOT get that pizza out of my mind. It looked TO DIE FOR. So I finally made it the other week, with homemade dough and sauce, and it was soooo good. I could honestly eat pizza for dinner every. single. night.

~ Cute Cami sayings. She is starting to be pretty vocal about what she wants, and sometimes she is quite the little sassy pants! It just makes me laugh though. Somehow, I think from nursery, she picked up the word "MINE!" So she says it all the time, even out of context. We'll say "Cami, it's time to go." To which she'll respond "Mmmmine! Or she's started saying "Go away!" when she doesn't want help. Oh dear, what have we done. She's also a sweetheart though, and will sit and read books out loud for like a half hour straight with just babbles and occasional words she knows like abanyashayabooyajay "mouth" jabanay. :)

~Basketball- My stake has a woman's basketball team, and I thought it would be fun to join. Even though I have no previous experience and look like a total dork on the court. I'm learning a lot, though, and am making slight improvements hopefully. And I scored 4 points last week, wahoo!

~The Bachelor- Of course! I thoroughly enjoy it. Brad's a cutie, and for anyone interested, I'm rooting for Emily and little Ashley.

~Ward choir- It's nice to sing once a week and make sure my voice doesn't go out on me. I've sung with a choir since like 3rd grade, and I just love the unity of voices and harmonies and nerdy things like raising your eyebrows and making your mouth form the right vowels. :) We're singing in Ward Conference tomorrow, and it'll be lovely.

~Getting the mail, and my Sunday newspaper. Isn't getting the mail fun? Sure, lots of times there's just bills and junk mail, but it's exciting opening the mailbox and seeing what's inside. I get so many free samples these days that it makes it even more fun!

~The library. Ohhh good ol public library system, what would I do without you! Cami and I go once a week, and I just love the South Jordan Library. We walk in, she runs for the bead rollercoaster things. Then we look at the tarantula in its tank, get some good movies, and read lots of books in the children's area. They have a cute baby storytime that we go to, and I just love that it's a place that's free and warm in the winter!

So there are my simple pleasures! What has delighted you this month?

7 comments:

Jen said...

I want to see your hair!!

Jen said...

I forgot to tell you that I am rooting for Michelle on the Bachelor...the girl from Utah.

NOT. Did I scare you? Isn't she crazy? I can't stand her.

I'm rooting for Emily and little Ashley too. They are both so sweet and cute.

Linda said...

Fun little pleasures, Heather! I agree with a cozy bed....I love my soft flannel sheets! And I love soft socks- every day! Love the ones with Modal in them, whatever that is!

My simple (and sinful!) pleasure this past week was the gooey caramel popcorn I made last Sunday night! So delicious! I could hardly wait to get home from work each day to get some chewy goodness!

And my new simple pleasure is reading Pres. Monson's biography- so good! Have a great week!

Brittney said...

I went to the library yesterday by myself and just savored the time I had to walk up and down the aisles and browse through the books. I felt like a dork enjoying myself so much, but it's definitely one of my simple pleasures. I agree with a lot of yours, in fact, except the basketball one of course. :) I'd have to add just sitting still and snuggling with my kiddoes, Muddy Buddies, good movie nights with David, a clean kitchen, and hearing the cute and crazy things that come out of my kids mouths. :) Gotta love the simple life.

Brittney said...

Ooh, and my new Mindy Gledhill cd. I love it. :)

Linda said...

Okay, one more simple pleasure.....I've been keeping a heating pad plugged in under my desk at home, and when I sit here I turn it on and wrap it around my sore arthritic knees- so comfy on cold days! =)

Sommer said...

You HAVE to post a picture of your hair cut, I can't wait to see it, I bet you look gorgeous with bangs. Ok so I totally agree with you on the bachelor, Emily and Ashley S the whole way, not the other whiny needy Ashley. At first I didn't like Emily, I thought she was fake and probably had major plastic surgery but no I think she might really be that pretty and she seems so sweet too. I think she's my front runner. Oh my work Michelle is evil and a nutter. I don't know how he can't see that. Chantel is just ok for me, I don't love or hate her. ANyhow fun post Heather Schmeather =)