Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sweet Poem on Raising Children- Good Reminder

If I had my child
to raise again,
I'd build self-esteem first,
and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more,
and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting,
and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch,
and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes
and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious,
and seriously play.
I would run through more fields
and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging
and less tugging.

~Diane Loomans

Cami took this book about mothers off the shelf today to look at the pictures, so I sat down with her and started reading the poems and sayings. This sweet poem stood out to me, and I think it's applicable to a mother with children of any age. I know I'm just in the beginning of this mothering journey, but sometimes I step back and think, "What am I doing for my daughter? Did I play with her at all today? Am I reading to her enough? Does she feel loved enough?" It's crazy how time really does fly, and my little baby is growing so fast. And before I know it, I'll have kids who are grown and gone with kids of their own and I'll think about this poem. I think most moms would love to do MORE...more playing, more hugging, more teaching, more watching, more soothing...and LESS of a lot of things that get in the way of quality time.

2 comments:

Sommer said...

I needed to hear this and do a little course correction. Thank you for reminding me what is really more important.

Natalie said...

What a great reminder! Thanks for sharing! They grow way too fast.