Friday, September 18, 2015

CA Day 2: Sunday Strawberry Picking and the Beach

Sunday, our first full day at the beach house, began with church at the local wardhouse. I love going to church all together as a family! And I'm sure the ward loved to see 25 strangers walk in that day. :) This first photo was taken by Esther through the window, of the kids eating a snack after church in the backyard. Such happy cousins! After church, Jake and the girls and I, along with Clark and Emma, decided to go strawberry picking. I had read about this place called Coastways Ranch, and wanted to check it out. It was probably not worth the drive, since it was pretty picked over or else they hadn't ripened yet, but the girls still had fun picking.

I sat in a chair with my crutches and supervised. Lexi was thoughtful enough to bring me a handful to eat.
Fresh pickin's. We also passed a roadside stand that boasted 10 avocados for a dollar, so of course we had to stop and get some. They were teeny tiny- no wonder so cheap!
That excursion and a trip to Costco for groceries took up more time than I'd expected! By the time we got back to the beach house, most of the rest of the family had been at the beach and were on their way home. We put on our suits and made our way there, since that's what we were in CA for! The walk to the beach...
Walk/run
Made it! We were held up at the ramp, though, because a silly beach park ranger got her truck stuck in the sand. She wouldn't let us pass, and was in a super bad mood because she felt dumb. We were entertained for about 10 minutes till another ranger pulled her out.
Grandma helped Lexi put on her life jacket so that she could enjoy the waves! I'm really glad they had those....it's too nerve wracking without!
Aptos Beach
Someone built a huge sand fort
And we got busy burying each other! By the way, Jake wheeled me in the wheelchair, then I switched to crutches and crutched through the sand down to the beach. Then I parked it in the wet sand close to the water, and enjoyed the beach from there.

Who doesn't like the feel of sand on their feet and legs? It's so soft and soothing and therapeutic.
This sand really stuck, though!
Lexi's turn! Haha I loved watching her face.





Don't get it in your mouth, Lex!


Mom's turn!
We went home from the beach and had dinner (we took turns being in charge of dinner) and enjoyed the backyard.
And did some community puzzles (like this Times Square one that Lincoln was a pro at)
And in the morning, this was the favorite past time for all the kids.
Bonding over phones and iPads. :) It brought out the worst in Lexi, I tell ya. She was not a happy camper when it was taken away because it was time to go have some CA fun!
Adventures awaited! First stop: The Redwood Forest!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum- California strawberries! And cute sandy pictures of the kids- and you too!