Wednesday, September 23, 2015

CA Day 3: The Redwood Forest and Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

On Monday morning, we all woke up bright and early and headed to the Redwood Forest. Henry Cowell State Park, to be exact. The drive in to the forest was exciting, because we kept getting deeper and deeper, away from the freeway and beach and traffic, as the trees got bigger and bigger. The air got cooler (a little bit) and fresher. As we started our walk, with me being pushed in the wheelchair by any willing kind soul, the air smelled SO GOOD. Woodsy and fresh and piney and delicious. Ike, Jordan and Jake (who plays dirty) meandered together down the trail.
Being there definitely makes you want to LOOK UP!
Cousins loved being together.
Lexi sported her cute new hat and backpack full of who knows what. She's a packer. I can't blame her- I can't go anywhere without my purse!
A cute one of Luke
Massiveness!
My outdoorsy girl, in her element.

We aptly named this The Kissing Tree. Monson and Clara were kissing, then others were kissing, and Lex didn't want to be left out. Mae is such a sweetheart.
Beauty!
~Sisters~

There were really smooth, shiny tree roots poking out of the ground, and I convinced some of the littles that they were dinosaur fossils. :)
Climbing time! This uprooted tree was perfect.


This was the Mother of the Forest. We tried to get a panaramic picture while holding hands around it (we didn't reach all the way around of course) but it didn't turn out right. I'm one of those who didn't realize you have to stay frozen for the picture.
I didn't get a picture of the Cave Tree, but it was an awesome tree that tons of people could climb all the way into at once. I didn't venture to wheel in there, but the kids loved it! And just a couple more cool tree pics...because.

Cami and baby Nora, relaxing before a picnic lunch.
By the afternoon, we were all pretty hot and tired, but we went straight to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. I have such fond memories of this place, coming with my family as a little girl. I loved the log ride the best, and the big white roller coaster. I was excited for my girls to experience it!

There's that big classic green log ride way up in the sky. Cami and Jake rode it a few times and loved it.
Lexi loved all the kiddie rides!
This is the one ride that I went on...and it was so ghetto. haha. A bunch of cavemen glowing in a dark cave...they really should update that one!
So hot and sunny!
That called for some nice cold treats.

Lexi and Walter hung out on the kiddie rides.

And then everyone enjoyed the carousel. Lincoln looks intently up ahead at the clown that they were trying to throw rings at. This ride was a hit!
A shot as we were driving away. Farewell, Santa Cruz!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ooh, more fun memories of favorite places! Santa Cruz carries such fun memories, often with the Edwards. And the fancy regional dinner dances in the Boardwalk's Cocoanut Grove….where the ceiling opens up to dance under the stars. Magical!
And I love the redwoods! You took some lovely pictures that could be a fun poster for Pres. Monson's "Look up!" quote.