Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Over the River and Through the Woods to the Cabin We Go

Summer vacation time! Don't you love that I'm just getting around to posting this? Life is busy, what can I say. So at the end of June, our little fam and my parents and Grandma embarked on an adventure to the Yospe cabin in Island Park. It's one of our favorite places on earth. After an end-of-swim-lessons BBQ, and packing about half our house/kitchen into the ol minivan, we were on the road. A stop at Arby's proved that I can indeed enjoy a fast food salad! I got a chicken bacon chopped salad with vinagerette dressing, and it was divine. I seriously craved that salad after that. Anywho, Lexi enjoyed playing with her super long curly fries on the road, and we arrived that night and got settled right in. Here's a corner of the living room, full of memories and character. Love it.
Oh, hello.
Grandma was delightful to have along...she even slept on the couch, bless her heart! The girls slept together in one room upstairs, with my parents in the other room, and Jake and I downstairs. It worked out, other than the girls getting scared every night and not wanting to go to sleep. :)
We love having Grandma Toone around! It was so great that it worked out to have her and Grandpa along for this trip. Originally, it was supposed to be a whole Toone family vacation. But Nathan and Allison are in St. Louis and Allison was about ready to have her 4th baby, Bree ended up going to Boise for an important temple sealing, and Brittney and David decided to up and leave for CA at the same time! And when I broke my leg, we almost pulled the plug on the whole trip because it would be too hard for me to get around on crutches with no weight bearing. But then we figured, hey, I either lay around at home or lay around at the cabin! Might as well be in the nice peaceful forest!

Grandma tried to teach Cam how to tie her shoes. We tried all summer long. Then one day right before school started, she got it!! It clicked! Hooooorray!
Lexi fluffy hair handed Grandma a bunch of vintage children's books from upstairs and asked her to read them. :)
THEN the boys took the little girls on a 3 hour 4-wheeler ride, in which Grandpa lost Jake and got slightly lost in the great outdoors, with a little sleeping girl sitting behind him in the hot sun. When they finally got home, she was covered in dirt, and sunburned from head to toe. Bad mom moment- I hate when I forget the sunscreen!
Clearly she was exhausted after that adventure. She slept on the way to Mesa Falls, one of the most beautiful places!

Hiking to see the falls...
Cam, while wearing her signature cabin t-shirt that says "Don't bug me", of course found a caterpillar on the way.
*Ding*


What better way to end the day is there than a campfire and picnic? This fire pit has been around for a long time, but Dad improved it a few years ago by building these nifty benches. Bless his handiman skills!
And his woodsman qualities. He's a pretty impressive wood cutter!
She's made for the outdoors.

There is beauty all around!

Hot dogs, corn on the cob, chips and pickles....all the girls' favorite things!
Smore's after dark. I loved waiting for the bats to come out every night.
Post bath after a nice dirty day!
When the kids go to bed, the grown ups play! Hand & Foot- the best card game ever and a definite Toone/Willes favorite.
Stay tuned for more cabin fun!

2 comments:

Brittney said...

Fun! I love that pic of Cami and your comment about being made for the outdoors! I need to get my kids in the "outdoors" more often. It's so good for the soul!

Unknown said...

Poor little lost Lexi Lou (and sunburned!) That's a super cute picture of Cami by the campfire- she does love the outdoors- and bugs! Love those cute girls!