Thursday, June 2, 2011

Leeds Hike: Red Reef Trail

On Saturday morning in St. George, we woke up and enjoyed a yummy breakfast at the hotel. Jake's favorite part was the make-your-own-belgian waffles, and I had french toast one morning and pancakes the next. Eggs, sausage, oatmeal, cereal, bagels...the options were plentiful! But enough about food. We set off for a day of fun, and the weather was gorgeous! 80 and sunny skies.

First stop: Leeds, a tiny town just north of St. George. It has an awesome hike starting at the Red Cliffs Campground, called the Red Reef Trail. I'd done it once before with some friends and remember how cool it was, and it's easy enough that it's kid friendly. We borrowed Brittney's baby carrier for Cami, which worked out perfectly.
Me striking a nerdy pose on a rock. You just can't resist climbing on these red rocks, it's too much fun!
Jake was great at pointing everything out to Cami, and here they are admiring a giant prickly cactus. We loved seeing all the little lizards scurrying around with every step we took.
We came to a place in the middle with a pond and stream with stepping stones. Jake enjoyed jumping across them with Cam bouncing along for the ride.
The trail is in a slot canyon, so there are red rocks towering all around you. It's breathtaking.
Showing off my baby bump. Yay for hiking 5 months pregnant!
Parts of the hike are kind of tricky, with climbing over rocks or carefully going down hills, but it's a fun adventure.
At the end is the best part! There's a waterfall and a swimming hole, with footholes carved into the rock and a rope to help you climb up and around the waterfall. Most people stop here and go back, like I did this time, but I have gone further and there's lots more to see.



I told Jake to go on a little further and check it out, while I stayed behind with Cam who wanted to play in the water. She took her shoes off and had fun putting her feet in and throwing pebbles into the water.

This was Jake's view from higher up, and you can barely see me standing down there in the sun. It's an amazing view- love this place!
And one last family shot at the end. Cami insisted on getting out of the carrier and walking most of the way back, and she was a champ! This was right after I'd been walking and a snake had jumped out of a bush, flicking its tongue and hissing at me! I totally jumped and freaked. Cami still likes to talk about it. :)
Good times!

No comments: