I'm grateful to my sister Brittney for pointing me to her blog several years ago.You can check out her blog here at NieNie Dialogues. Brittney had told me about a young mom who was badly burned in a plane crash in 2008, who lives in Provo, and who keeps a blog about her family and experiences. I finally checked it out, and was so touched and amazed by Stephanie's story. She started blogging before the accident, though, and I was amazed with what a beautiful person she was, inside and out, and what a good mother. I remember reading a post she wrote like 6 years ago, (March 2008) about how she and her girls wrote happy fortunes, and hid them downtown for people to find. I just remember being so impressed with that, and thinking how the littlest things you do as a mother can have a big impact on your children.
Here's the Nielson family....is this not the cutest family picture? (I googled it, sorry)
Anyways, I continued to read her blog every now and then, and I knew Brittney had seen her once before on BYU campus, but had not been brave enough to go up and say hi. Britt regretted not telling her how much she admired her. I thought, ahh wouldn't that be so cool to meet her someday. (My mom and sisters all "know" and admire her, so we had a fun girls night out after Christmas and called it a Nie Nie Night. We visited some of her favorite places and had a fun time. I'll post pictures of that later.)
Just about a year ago, Stephanie wrote a book, called Heaven is Here.
I bought a copy for myself. And Bree. And Carrianne. And I recommend it to anyone. It's so good! It's a memoir of her life before, during and after the accident. It's inspirational and uplifting. The thing I love about her writing is that she's real, raw, and honest. And funny. I'm not really on her same level as far as style and craftiness and popularity, but that doesn't mean much to me. It's her experiences and faith and endurance and testimony that drew me to her, and compel me to hold her as my hero.
See, when I went through all my health issues starting in 2011, she was one of the people who got me through. I went through a difficult pregnancy, hospitalizations for dehydration and malnutrition, esophagus surgery, complications, being on TPN and endless IV's, pulmonary embolisms, loss of eyesight, loss of hair, extreme bloating, food intolerances, muscle cramps, itching, neuropathy, feeding tube, endoscopies and colonoscopies, shots, medicines, doctors, stress, depression, sadness, etc. But I remember laying in my hospital bed, thinking "If Nie Nie can do it, so can I."
I would read her blog for inspiration. I felt complete gratitude for her great example of going through hard things (she was in a medically induced coma for 3 months, in the hospital for 5, missed 2 of her children's birthdays, had to re-learn to be a mother). She is truly inspirational. When my kids would come visit me at the hospital and look at me a little nervously at first, I'd think of her. When I was sad when my kids weren't there, I'd think of her. When I felt self conscious of people staring in public at my balding head or nose with feeding tube hanging out, I'd think of her. When I felt tired and frustrated with being a crappy mom, I thought of her with her kids and it made me want to be better. I know I don't compare to her and her horrific experience and lifelong effects of the accident, but I can relate. And that means something to me. I owe her a lot.
That's why I love Nie Nie. :)
This past weekend, I had the opportunity to attend a family history conference called Rootstech. I had seen a poster on Temple Square before Christmas, advertising that Stephanie was going to be a keynote speaker, so I knew I needed to go! I went to the Saturday session, and got there bright and early and excited to hear her speak.
You can watch her whole talk here. She did an awesome job. I loved seeing all the pictures up on the big screen of her and her life, and she told about her accident and life afterwards. She basically had to re-learn how to be a wife and mother, but knew that it was so important to fight and be strong for her family. She blogs so that she can keep a family history and tell their story.
Stephanie and her cute husband, Christian, who was also burned in the plane crash. They have a very admirable and loving relationship- another reason why I look up to her.
And this picture, when it came up on the screen behind her while she was speaking about her recovery....
Reminded me of this picture
Of me and my recovery shortly after Lexi was born. My sweet Cami, walking with me down the hospital hall, not judging or caring about what I looked like or what my situation was. I'm her mom...that's all that matters.
My favorite part of Stephanie's talk was when she told a story of her after the accident, walking Oliver to school when she was pregnant with her 5th child. She sent him on his way, but he forgot his lunch, so when she brought it to him and he was with his friends, they all stared at her like she was a monster. His friend said, "What is wrong with your mom??" And Oliver, her cute little son, looked back at him and said "Haven't you ever seen a pregnant mommy before??" Ahhh I love kids. I also like when at the end, she said "Be grateful for those who sacrificed before you". It's important for us to get to know our ancestors...those who came before us...and make them proud. Honor their sacrifices. And write our own story.
I was completely happy that I got to hear Nie Nie speak. Afterwards, I was hoping to get to meet her and tell her how much she's inspired me. I didn't know if I would cry or be too nervous or feel weird or what, but I wanted to have the chance! I even took my book, ready to have her sign it. Unfortunately, she didn't do a meet and greet, and was escorted to the media hub for interviews, and then quickly escorted out.
I waited to see if I would have a chance to catch her, but didn't have luck. Haha this kind of looks like she's looking at me. The girl in the pink sweater, hovering outside the hub, taking pictures of her being interviewed. I'm not a weirdo, I promise!
Christian was there with her. You can just see the love they have for each other. She's beautiful, and kind, and good. And I hope someday I'll get the chance to tell her that. Thanks, Nie Nie, for being my hero.



8 comments:
Hm, how could we get her to read this post???
I'm on it. I'm going to get this done!
I loved this so much. Cass read it to me while we were driving home and I had tears running down my face. You are a beautiful writer! Your story makes my heart ache and I love how much Nie Nie has helped you through everything. I never realized how close you felt to her in your roughest moments, and I love that you were somewhat healed by her inspiring example. Oh I do hope you meet her one day!!!! I LOVE YOU.
I love you too, Heather! My comment above was silly, but I did love this post! And it made me cry, thinking back on the last 2 1/2 years and what you've gone through. So glad Nienie has been an inspiration and a bright light in some of your darkest days. Keep the faith- we all continue praying for you and your sweet family!
Ah Bahhh! You have me crying too!!! lol I love you Heather and so hope you get to meet her someday! Just like Nie Nie is one of your heros, you're one of mine! You're also an inspiration! "Thank You" to you and Stephanie, both, for sharing your stories so that they can lift others up and give them hope!
Thank you for this beautiful post. How sweet of you!!!
Our trials make us stronger, and better, and happier- don't they? :)
xoxox
Stephanie
Post a Comment