Monday, November 10, 2014

Cami and Tae Kwon Do


I have a confession: I like to enter drawings. It's a habit of mine. There's always that miniscule chance that your name will be drawn and you'll be the lucky winner. It doesn't hurt to try! I always think, eh, what have I got to lose? Hence the tae kwon do lessons. I entered my name in a drawing at Pizza Pie Cafe for free lessons, and I got a call saying that I was a "runner up winner", and my child would receive 2 weeks of free lessons and a uniform to keep. At first I was tempted to say no, but then I thought, why not? This will be interesting! And it'll be a good experience for Cami!

So we went to Family Tae Kwon Do (next to Pizza Pie Cafe, our favorite pizza place), and Cami got her very own extra small uniform. She looked so cute in it! Lexi entertained herself while I took pictures.


I knew nothing about tae kwon do, but apparently it is quite fabulous for kids! It teaches respect and discipline. You're supposed to face the flag and pay respects, then face your teacher, then face your parents and say "I respect my parents!" And then bow. Wow! I was impressed.

 She got her own little personal private lesson, and was asked to run laps around the mat. It was so funny to watch her little white body scampering speedily around the mat.
 She thought it was so fun!
 Then she learned how to kick, and say "Hiyah!"
 She's not used to being bold and forceful, so she kept turning around to me and lifting her shirt up bashfully. My cute little Cam.
They even get homework with a checklist of things they're supposed to do at home, and words to memorize that remind them to be good and kind and helpful and respectful.

At another lesson, she was with other kids, and they lined up for instructions.
 And had to do lunges on the ground
 And then the bridge! Look at her go!
She was a natural, and I really enjoyed watching her learn and progress over just a few lessons. She and I both were sad when her 2 weeks were up! It is very expensive to pay to do tae kwon do! But I'm glad she had that experience, just like she had those short gymnastics lessons last year. It's fun to see what she's interested in and good at. I think she is a good little athlete, and I can't wait to see what else she can do! (Like Ballet...)

1 comment:

Linda said...

She looks so cute in her little uniform! And I love the "I respect my parents" part! Cute! And a good experience for her!