Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Cancun Continuation

This is the one night we actually dressed up and tried to look nice rather than like beach bums. As part of our honeymoon package, they gave us a reservation to one of their fancy exclusive restaurants. It was probably the nicest restaurant I've been to, but it was also one of the most boring and slooowww. Hardly anyone there, very quiet and uppity, weird names for weird food and small portions of course, and they brought out some weird bright blue alcoholic drink even after we told them we didn't drink. I ended up eating some kind of chicken dish with a chocolate sauce over it. hmm. But we enjoyed the full 2 hours of that peace and quiet and fine dining. :)
This was at a beautiful island across the bay from Cancun. We took a ferry across the crystal blue water (good thing I took Dramamine cuz there were people around us gettin sick left and right) And then we rented a scooter for pretty dang cheap, and were able to drive around the whole island within the hour pretty much. Jake is a wonderful driver, and I had a lot of fun just clinging onto him from behind. We got to wear nerdy little helmets and looked like USA tourists, with me snapping pictures of everything we passed. We stopped at this gondola place and got some ice cream, and then this building below was my favorite. Those Mexicans have some good cheery taste!

Here's my handsome hubbie wishing he had one of these at home. He'd actually like a motorcycle rather than a scooter, but those are too scary and dangerous. At least scooters only go up to what, like 40 mph? It would've been fun to have one to ride back in Cancun when we did want to venture out of the paradisical resort. We took the city bus or walked, and once Jake even talked me into running with him in the peak of the afternoon sun. We ran all the way into town from our resort, which was more than a few miles, and did some browsing at the flea markets although it was a little embarassing to be dripping sweat and smelling like wet dogs. If I remember correctly, I think we took the bus back. :)The food was soo good! I was very surprised...I was kind of paranoid going into the trip that we would come down with some crazy Mexican food-borne illness and be bed ridden or something. But we ate at the different restaurants at the resort for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This was our favorite place for breakfast, where they gave us yummy juice, pastries and toast, and then I would order a ham and cheese omelet, and pancakes, and Jake would get fresh fruit and pancakes. And we'd share it all, and the great thing was that since we'd already paid for the food in the trip price, we could order as much as we wanted! So we enjoyed the food, and all the tables had those fun tropical flowers on them and made it seem all exotic. There were also peacocks that would come up to the grass hut restaurants and perch on the wall, and we saw some iguanas roaming around the grass too. All in all, it was a lovely time and I'm glad Jake is so loving and generous and gave us such an awesome honeymoon! I honestly can't think of another place that would have been so perfect for a week of newlywed bliss. Can you??

5 comments:

GreenTaiwan said...

Jake-
So you want to know the real reason I didn't watch General Conference. Well, you must remember that we are 14 hours ahead of you and as such while we were at the temple nothing had yet happened in Salt Lake. It began at midnight our time on Saturday night and I wasn't feeling good enough to watch it on the internet, so I started it yesterday. We aren't suppose to be watching it until next week when they broadcast it all over the country. So I guess I am extra righteous since I started it so much earlier than everyone else. Just kidding. I wish it had been live though, would have been fun to watch.

Brittney said...

I love all the pics you've posted, especially the "hodge podge" collection. You guys are the cutest little newlywed couple. =) Love you!

Ike said...

Good thing you took the medicine before the ferry ride. I remember that ferry ride well - too well. I barely survived. Mom (Emma), wasn't quite so lucky if I remember right.

Cancun was one of Jana and my favorite vacations ever and we want to go back so bad! Looks like you guys had a blast.

Sommer said...

I couldn't agree more with Brittney, you guys are soooooo cute. You look so happy and I am just so happy for you, and I'm so happy that I found your blog, and I wish I was in Mexico with you, but I think you're much happier with the person your with=) What a fun honeymoon though, seriously, me and Ben just went to the Pochonos or however you spell it. Yay for little Schmeather! Oh and by the way, holy skinny minny, you are tinny, you look gorgeous, you are just glowing!

Tyler, Brooke, Britain, Braden and Beckham said...

Jake, What up??? Thanks for finding our blog. Brooke does pretty much everything on it so I giver her all of the credit. Your honeymoon looked like it was so fun. Best wishes and keep in touch. As a side note the KC Royals have a winning record… the whole city is in shock. Do you think that this is a sign of the second coming?