Picture #1 We see my tire on the "sidewalk" that is partially covered in blacktop. Notice that there is no curb, and the "sidewalk" is run down and blends into the road, especially at night.
Picture #2 Shows us that the business side of the sidewalk (away from the road) is also covered in blacktop or road and the blacktop continues all the way to the building.
Picture #3 Shows my right bumper hanging over the "sidewalk". Again notice the curb...oh wait there was not one. The van next to us also got a ticket.
Picture #4 Shows a closer look at the situation they seem to think is parking ticket worthy.So you may be asking what the ticket was for, just like we were...It was for parking "on the sidewalk". They think that was a sidewalk? Where is the curb? Why is it half covered in blacktop (on both sides), that goes all the way to the building. It really blends in with the street at night? All we did was pull up even with the other cars parked on both sides of us, to avoid blocking the street/alley. I think that the police were just out to write tickets. I think that I should go to the Judge and fight it..it is the principle of the whole thing. Heather thinks we should just pay the stupid ticket. And the police couldn't just give us the smallest violation for this? The smallest parking violation is $10, the police gave us a $17 violation for parking "on the sidewalk". What do you think I should do? I need your opinions, because I am still just livid. Please send me your comments and answer the poll...I have ten days to either pay it or go see the judge. But I would like to decide what I am going to do by Monday. I don't mind spending a half an hour to go talk to the judge. But am I justified?
6 comments:
just pay it.
Sorry Jake...I don't have any advice about your ticket, but I was happy to see you hung out with Conrad Walsh. Curtis and I both know and love Conrad. Tell him hi from us:)
I'll see if Curtis has any advice for you about your ticket. I'm sure he'll come up with something good for you to tell the judge.
Hey, you and Heather should come up to Laramie for the U football game this year...oh, good times!
Hey Bucker-
Fight it just because. If its a principle thing, why not fight it? Everyone needs a good "I fought the ticket and won" story. Justin tried to fight a ticket in West Bountiful once, and although it didn't end up working, it provided me with an afternoon's worth of fun. Don't bring those pictures though. And, I don't think the absence of a curb means there was no sidewalk, it just means there was no curb. (DISCLAIMER- this is NOT legal advice and I am NOT an attorney). I would just go tell the judge you weren't parking on the sidewalk, and ask for your constitutional guarantee to confront your accuser. Most likely the parking cop won't show up. This is pretty funny though, I laughed. Your other option is to bill Conrad for half the ticket, which would also be funny.
Pay the ticket. Life is too short to hold grudges like these. Just look at it like payback for all the good that police officers do. They do all this good for us, they make a mistake that affects you. Now you are even. Definitely put the police on your "ON NOTICE BOARD"
You asked why you shouldn't bring the pictures- I wouldn't bring them because it shows your car hanging over the sidewalk, which is what your ticket is for, right? Good luck, I want to see a follow up on your blog about what happened
I think you should fight it. The worst that can happen is you waste time and end up having to pay the ticket, least you know that you ahve done all you could do to see that justice was served and if you do win you will feel a lot better about the situation, and it's true it will make a good story. Keep us posted and good luck!
Post a Comment